We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

Which Cavtat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Epping, United...
reviews: 6
Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

We're looking for a holiday next year late June/early July and I've heard good things about Croatia. I particularly like the look of Cavtat.

We are in our late 40's and are looking for a relaxing holiday with a bit of sightseeing thrown in. A beach isn't essential though one would be nice but where else is there to lay in the sun and relax at least part of the time if there isn't a beach nearby? We aren't party animals but do want a bit of night-life, live music in a bar would be nice.

My husband is Coeliac (his food/drink has to be gluten-free) so would this be a problem?

Would 2 weeks be too long a stay?

Many thanks :-)

Durham
reviews: 7
1. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

Two weeks is too long in Cavtat in my opinion unless you are particularly keen on spotting expensive yachts. Maybe spend one week there and one week on an island or in Montenegro.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 51
2. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

“Relaxing holiday with a bit of sightseeing thrown in”.

Cavtat will suit you, very pretty relaxing resort in a good location for exploring Croatia. Cavtat is very close to Dubrovnik, takes approximately 45 minutes by boat or the local bus which runs approximately every hour. Have a look at my trip report and photographs which will give you additional information on places you could visit :-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295371-i1555-k376…

Kotor in Montenegro or Mostar are good places for day trips as well.

Beach isn't essential though one would be nice but where else is there to lay in the sun and relax at least part of the time if there isn't a beach nearby?”

The majority of beaches in Croatia are shingle / pebbles rather than sand. In Cavtat you will find pebbly shoreline / bathing platforms with sunbeds for hire. If you decide to stay in a hotel you will find sunbeds within the hotel grounds. May be interested in this post “Nearest sandy beach to Cavtat” :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g303804-i10581-k…

“We aren't party animals but do want a bit of night-life, live music in a bar would be nice”.

Some bars play music, can be busy in July and August at the height of the summer season.

Unable to help with your Coeliac question but you may be interested in this recent post. Not specific to Cavtat but it may be of some use:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k5…

“Would 2 weeks be too long a stay”

Depends on the individual, personally I think 10 days is just right. Could combine Cavtat with an island or a stay in Montenegro.

Happy planning!

London, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

Croatia is beautiful and Dubrovnik is a wonderful city. whilst Cavtat itself is very pretty, with bars and restaurants, if you want to dosightseeing I would advise you to stay just outside Dubrovnik, as Cavtat is about 30-40 minutes away by busy. Cavtat itselfis very small. Staying in Dubrovnik you are on top of everything. whilst there is no beach in either Cavtat or Dubrovnik, the hotels in Dubrovnik all have a rocky coastline and there are plenty of bathing platforms. most or the larger hotels have buffet meals and the food would not be a problem. staying just outside Dubrovnik, the bus service in is very good, and very cheap, and Dubrovnik itself is easy to sightsee on your own. ie cable car, fery to Lokrum, city tour. there are also numerous boat trips, would recommend the one to the Elaphatine Islands from Gruz, just outside Dubrovnik. Sightseeing - can go by boat to Korcula, beautiful, by coach to Ston and Trstno, can do a day trip to Mostar, well worth it and a day trip to Montenegro. Mostar and Montenegro are long days, but Mostar was very interesting and Montenegro, the scenery is breathtaking. would recommend both trips, so if you are really into sightseeing there is plenty to do and two weeks would be fine, if this is your first time to Dubrovnik and want sightseeing and a relaxing holiday would definitely do the two weeks.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 40
4. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

I think Cavtat would be a good place for you to go but I wouldn't spend the entire two weeks there..maybe combine that with a week out on Korcula.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
reviews: 44
5. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

We stayed in Cavtat last Sept. for one week.. We did day trips to Mostar and Dubrovnik. To us, in our 50s, one week was perfect. We are coming back next fall and will again do one week in Cavtat and the other week somewhere else, undecided yet. Two weeks would be too much.

The Rocks are fun to sit on and sun and then climb down and swim. There are beaches with little pebbles to walk out from and there are cement beaches. There are chairs to rent.

Old Town Cavtat is awesome to stay in. There are lots of Villas and B&Bs with the personal touch. There are also Hotels with pools that are nice.

There are lots of good restaurants and outside bars to sit at and watch the yachts and people. We love Music but didnt find alot of that.

There are alot of places to walk - up to the Mausoleum, around the penninsulas and thru the alleyways.

I would say, Cavtat for 1 week and then Slovenia for 1 week . Or Cavtat for 1 week and then go to Korcula for a few days or a week. Or Cavtat and maybe Montenegro.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
6. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

As noted, Cavtat would be good for up to a week. Spent a week there a few years ago at a conference at Hotel Croatia and going back this June. We found it a decent base to explore Dubrovnik.

Have fun.

reviews: 11
7. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

What are the beaches like in Cavtat? Any recommendations? Thanks

8. Re: Is Croatia/Cavtat right for us?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat
Recent Conversations