We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking/trekking

Which Lijiang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Uppsala, Sweden
reviews: 11
hiking/trekking

Hello!

Would anybody be able to recommend any good 1to 2 day hikes around Lijiang/Jade Dragon Snow Mountain or Shangri-La?

I am looking for great sceneries and all-day walking opportunities.

Are there any publications that you'd be able to recommend on hiking/trekking opportunities in Yunnan?

Many thanks

Lijiang,Yunnan
reviews: 2
1. Re: hiking/trekking

Hey! There are many chooses in Lijiang area for you to hike, you can visit: www.ecotourism.com.cn, hope you find something interesting!

Any questions please feel free to contact me!

hong kong
reviews: 165
2. Re: hiking/trekking

Yunnan is made for hiking.

Near Lijiang is Tiger Leaping Gorge. Great for an overnight 2 day hike with a stay in a good guesthouse on route. No need to take a tour at all - very easy to do independently.

Lijiang
3. Re: hiking/trekking

Tiger Leaping Gorge is indeed a wonderful trek, but at the moment it is officially closed. They are working on the low road, blasting dynamite in the process...

I know some people who did the high trail, but you have to back-track as you cannot take any kind of transport back to Qiaotou, and it is at your own risk. Although the high trail is far above the low road, they could still feel tremors every time they blasted dynamite on the low road...

The other option is of course to go on to Haba and then to Shangri-La via the back-road.

Uppsala, Sweden
reviews: 11
4. Re: hiking/trekking

thanks for the very useful info

Beijing, China
5. Re: hiking/trekking

You were 1000% right that Yunnan is the best place for hiking in China. I've done a lot of hiking in Yunnan province and let me introduce three most interesting ones. I also have walking experience in bird-watching and ecotourism hiking tour. If you are interested in these, just let me know.

1. Shangri-La/Feilaisi/Yubeng/Deqin/Shangri-La

Along this route, you could find that there is a 6-hour mountain passes to the unspoiled and car-inaccessible Meili Mt. and the secluded Yubeng village. This village is considered intact from commercialization and the experience will be authentic and once-in-a-life. FYI, you can spend 3 days in Yubeng village and take daily hikings to the Yubeng waterfall.

2. Close to Lijiang/ Hiking Tiger Leaping Gorge

Day 1: Hike lower trail, arrive at Walnut Grove, overnight in gorge

Day 2: Drive to Haba village; hike to nearby mountain communities, overnight in Haba village

Day3: Hike along gorge, visit Naxi villages enrough. Overnight at White Water Terrace (Baishui Tai)

Day 4: Drive back to Lijiang or to Shangri-La

3. The Flying Tigers Route

Day 1: Kunming-Tengchong, visit World War II memorial

Day 2: Tengchong, explore local market, have some cultural interaction with local people and enjoy natural hot springs

Day 3: Tengchong/Gaoligong Mt: explore the Gaoligong Nature Reserve

Day 4: Gaoligong Mt. walk to village and talk to local people about Flying tigers. Stroll along an abandoned logging road;

Day 5: Gaoligong Mt/Dali

Hope you would like these wonderful hiking trips in Yunnan.

WildChina

Edited: 9:44 am, December 16, 2009
Usa
reviews: 5
6. Re: hiking/trekking

Yes, depending on how strenuous you want to hike, Haba Mt is feasible, and very spectacular scenery. I know an excellent local guide that is very experienced with that trek. There are many other great hiking opportunities in the area too. Best to decide what you are up for, and hook up with a good guide if you want to go off the beaten track. I would post the info, but Tripadvisor will not allow me unless you specifically ask for it.. Of course, you can send me a message, and I am happy to fill you in on more details. I can tell you the guide company I used is much less expensive than wildchina, who just posted. You should compare and see what makes sense for you.

In any case, I returned from two week tour in Yunnan about a month ago. Absolutely fantastic place to visit!

Edited: 9:01 pm, December 17, 2009
christchurch
reviews: 3
7. Re: hiking/trekking

Please can you tell us the guide information Number 6 reply! We go to Lijiang at the end of March 2010.

Usa
reviews: 5
8. Re: hiking/trekking

Yes, they specialize in trekking and personalized tours - check out their website: www.edward-adventures.com Of course you can email them with your interests at info@edward-adventures.com They are very flexible, experienced in the region, and reasonable for the services provided. Just let them know your interests, time frame, and level of trekking you are looking for, and they will be able to provide expert guidance. Feel free to send message or email me for more info: stairclimber22@gmail.com

You will have a great time exploring the area, just spectacular!

9. Re: hiking/trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 09, 2010