We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to explore Dali

Which Dali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 56
Help to explore Dali

Hi everyone,

I intend to explore Dali but not sure how many days should I stay in this place.After this, Im returning to Kunming for my departure flight.

1.I understand I can take an overnight train from Dali to Kunming.How should I make my booking for the train and where should I look at to know the timetable?How to reach the train station?

2.Are there any recommended accomodations(guesthouse, hotels) which you guys can recommend me with respect to its service,hospitality and perhaps even reliable tour guide services? I am considering Jade-Emu but not sure if there are any better ones out there?

3.What are the must-see places in Dali?Im interested in sightseeing, cultural and historical aspects of the place.Are there any tour guides/agency worth recommendation?

Thank you in advance for all suggestions! =)

hong kong
reviews: 165
1. Re: Help to explore Dali

1. See www.seat61.com/China.htm

You might be able to book at the station when you first arrive in Kunming. If not, the hotel in Dali will help you.

2. I stayed at www.jade-emu.com/

Comfortable, clean and quite good food as well. Very friendly.

3.I spent a night there (one and a half days). The town is nice to wander around. There are also the three pagodas. Then there is the lake, but boat trips were expensive when I was there. I took the cable car up to the Cangshan Mountain - very enjoyable. No real need to take a tour in Dali, although there are torus around the lake which might be cheaper than doing it yourself. There are many many agents running tours.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
reviews: 17
2. Re: Help to explore Dali

you can also catch a bus from kunming. 5 hours approx on good roads, with a toilet stop.

I stayed at the dali gu rong hotel. Out the gate, turn left, short walk down the hill, turn right walk a little more and you are in the old town.

I liked the old town shopping/browsing wise but culturally & historically Lijiang to my mind was a lot better. I was a little disappointed, particularly with the lake area. Lijiang is a 45 min flight from kunming.

I don't think I would bother with a guide.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 56
3. Re: Help to explore Dali

Thanks lots for all advices =)

Shanghai, China
4. Re: Help to explore Dali

Kunming -- Dali:

N802/N803 (2105--0505) 8ho00min

N806/N807 (2143--0608) 8h25min

N810/N811 (2215--0727) 9h12min

N814/N815 (2300--0801) 9h01min

How to reach the train station from where? Most obvious answer would be by taxi.

Around Dali, I would suggest Zhoucheng and perhaps Xizhou.

5. Re: Help to explore Dali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 19, 2009