We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

Which Jiuzhaigou County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
beijing
Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

Are the altitudes for the two parks a problem for someone who has altitude sickness, dangerous? We would very much like to visit in mid October, but we are concerned. Do many people have problems? Hoping to hear from anyone who has had problems and how difficult can it be. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....mxy11

Melbourne
reviews: 10
11. Re: Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

Our family has just returned from Sichuan. We flew to Juizhaigou from Chengdu in December and all of us immediately felt the effects of the altitude (breathlessness and headache) at the airport. Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Airport is set on a plateau at 3448 M above sea level and is the airport with the 3rd highest altitude in the People's Republic of China (after Lhasa and Qamdo airports). Our symptoms were immediately relieved once we got on our way to our hotel . We drove past the Intercontinental Hotel on the way to our hotel, Sheraton, and the taxi driver commented in Chinese 'Don't stay there. It's too high. You'll get a headache' and I believed him.

We never felt anything at Juizhaigou since the altitude of most of the scenic spots is lower than the airport. Never went to Huanglong because of the season but I'm a bit scared now after my experience at the airport. The taxi driver advised that Huanglong is about 3,500 M but you need to pass through peaks over 4,500 metres to get there, and there is a lot more walking than Jiuzhaigou which can be experienced with a combination of green buses and walking. My advice is that Jiuzhaigou is a stunning place well worth visiting. It is definitely not strenuous but be careful which hotel you stay. Also learned that there are Tibetan medicines that can be taken which are freely available. Even the taxi driver had them. Interestingly he told us that he is from Songpan (altitude 2850 M) and that when he spends too much time in low altitude places like the base of Jiuzhaigou (around 2000 M) he gets light headed and dizzy.

Melbourne
12. Re: Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

Our family has just returned from Sichuan. We flew to Juizhaigou from Chengdu in December and all of us immediately felt the effects of the altitude (breathlessness and headache) at the airport. Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Airport is set on a plateau at 3448 M above sea level and is the airport with the 3rd highest altitude in the People's Republic of China (after Lhasa and Qamdo airports). Our symptoms were immediately relieved once we got on our way to our hotel . We drove past the Intercontinental Hotel on the way to our hotel, Sheraton, and the taxi driver commented in Chinese 'Don't stay there. It's too high. You'll get a headache' and I believed him.

We never felt anything at Juizhaigou since the altitude of most of the scenic spots is lower than the airport. Never went to Huanglong because of the season but I'm a bit scared now after my experience at the airport. The taxi driver advised that Huanglong is about 3,500 M but you need to pass through peaks over 4,500 metres to get there, and there is a lot more walking than Jiuzhaigou which can be experienced with a combination of green buses and walking. My advice is that Jiuzhaigou is a stunning place well worth visiting. It is definitely not strenuous but be careful which hotel you stay. Also learned that there are Tibetan medicines that can be taken which are freely available. Even the taxi driver had them. Interestingly he told us that he is from Songpan (altitude 2850 M) and that when he spends too much time in low altitude places like the base of Jiuzhaigou (around 2000 M) he gets light headed and dizzy.

South Pole
reviews: 27
13. Re: Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

One of the interesting sights for me at Huanglong was the young Chinese women who climb the path wearing fashion clothing including high-heeled shoes.

We had no problems during our few day in the area, having flown from Chengdu on the first morning and then driven over the pass to Hunaglong. We did note that some people, of varying ages, were taking advantage of the available oxygen within Huanglong.

Taking the gondola up and then walking down might help with the level of exertion required.

Melbourne
14. Re: Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

The gondola at Huanglong doesn't run during winter so if anyone wants to visit during the offseason there's a lot of walking, and its all up hill (and a high altitude). That's why we decided not to go.

15. Re: Altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 15, 2012