We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
reviews: 247
driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

Have been driving from Savannah through Atlanta then Nashville but the delays have been so bad in Atlanta area, now looking lookin16 from Savannah, then 280 I think from Macon area to Colimbus then into Birmingham on 38 from Columbus and driving out on 78 to Memphis. Does this route make sense? What are highways 38 and 78 like? 4 lanes? Divided and with or without controlled access? Lots of trucks? What would some nicer hotels be along this route in the Birmingham vicinity? . Will be taking lots of Savannah-Little Rock trips so any guidance appreciated. Thanks

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
reviews: 98
11. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

You didn't seem to be getting any help in locating a hotel near the Ocean Restaurant. The GoogleMap suggestion was only meant to find a hotel AFTER you arrived in Birmingham.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 5
12. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

Actually, having done this basic route any number of times, I'd tell you that your best route is as follows:

Drive Highway 82 through Tifton and on to Eufala, Alabama, and Montgomery. Trust me on this. 280 from Columbus on is a bunch of traffic lights.

That being said, I'd still go through Atlanta. If you approach the city armed with Google Maps on your phone on the Traffic setting and don't try to hit the place at rush hour, you should be able to avoid the snags.

Now, when you get to Birmingham, I-22 has almost connected to I-65, so that you don't have to take godawful highway 78 anymore. Just take 65 north from downtown, get off at Daniel Payne Drive exit, drive 1 mile west and turn right on Coalburg Road. A mile later, you're back on the interstate to Memphis.

Birmingham, Alabama
13. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

If you want to eat at Ocean, I highlight recommend Hotel Highland just down the street. It's a small boutique hotel. Either that or Aloft over the hill in Homewood.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 64
14. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

stay at Aloft in Homewood there's alos an Embassy Suites in Homewood- we are going to Ocean for my Daughter's 21st!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
15. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

thanks for all the kind help. Staying at Hotel Highlands and headed to Ocean for special birthday. Still confused a little about exact route from Birmingham to Savannah but am def avoiding Atlanta. The stalls on expressways even at non-rush hours are frustrating and we are hoping to find a good alternate for what looks like many future such trips.

Alexander City...
reviews: 55
16. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

280 west of the Columbus/Phenix City area is great traveling. In Opelika, you will actually get on I-85 for a short distance and then back off again. Speeds on 280 consistently run around 70 to 75 with some higher speeds. It's like that all of the way to Inverness. Beware the traffic from Inverness on into Birmingham. It's awful!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
17. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

Brief trip report: we had a perfect trip thru Memphis to Birmingham on 78 mostly, great divided highway, light traffic. We stayed at Hotel Highlands, a remodeled historic hotel. Nice to get away from cookie cutter chains once in a while. Ate at a really nice nearby restaurant called Ocean. To work up an appetite we took a hike up to the statue of Vulcan and nice history of Birmngham museum. Next day we finally opted to go the Atlanta route to Savannah and flew without a problem on 20, 285, 75 and 16. We are on return trip now and lost 30 minutes on 75 about 40 miles from Atlanta with bumper to bumper traffic. Now clear sailing on 285 around Atlanta on Sat afternoon. Soon back in Bham at highlands hotel and Ocean again. Impressed by very friendly people in Birmingham. Thanks for the kind help.

Alabama
18. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

Glad you had a good visit, JimJade! Safe travels.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
reviews: 3
19. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

Great. Thanks for the update.

20. Re: driving Savannah-Columbus-Birmingham-Memphis- Little Roc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham