We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ride

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 46
Train Ride

Our 6-year-old grandson will be spending a few days with us next week, and he LOVES everything trains. I would love to take him on a train ride, but everything I have found so far only runs on weekends, and he will be with us on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Does anyone know of a train ride we could take him on during a weekday that is within a couple of hours drive from Birmingham, Alabama? Thanks!

Mississippi
reviews: 9
1. Re: Train Ride

Amtrak's Crescent goes from NYC to New Orleans through Birmingham and the cities of Atlanta, Tuscaloosa, Meridian, MS et al. You could take the train N from BH to Atlanta and catch the S bound version back to BH or you could ride S to Meridian, Mobile or NOLA and catch the N bound version back to BH. Take the young man to New Orleans.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Birmingham, Alabama
2. Re: Train Ride

What a great suggestion, Axle. Thank you!

alabama
reviews: 24
3. Re: Train Ride

You can take the train from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa and back in a day . The Children's Hands on Museum in Tuscaloosa is fun for that age. Time to run around the quad at UA. Our boys loved this trip as kindergarteners.

Edited: 5:21 pm, June 14, 2012
alabama
reviews: 24
4. Re: Train Ride

You can go eat at the Irondale Cafe and see all the trains that run by there. Lots of Trains at Railroad Park too

Birmingham, Alabama
5. Re: Train Ride

4ddawgs, I loved the idea of riding to Tuscaloosa and back in a day. Unfortunately, on the days we were able to go, they didn't have a train leaving Tuscaloosa after the arrival of the train from Birmingham until the following day. The train from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham left about 30 minutes before the train from Birmingham arrived in Tuscaloosa. It was the same situation for Anniston. Kind of strange scheduling, but maybe there aren't many passengers who ride there and immediately turn around and come back. The grandson has gone home now, but he will be back, and I will remember the Irondale Cafe and Railroad Park suggestions. Thanks.

6. Re: Train Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham