We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

Which Kaili hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
reviews: 37
Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

Im planing to getting from Fenghuang to Guilin.

Now, I want to pass through the ethnic area - Dong and Miao tribes.

Is it enough to take a train from Huaihua to Sanjiang and spend time around that area - Sanjiang,Zhaoxing,Basha,Chengyang bridge?

Or passing through Kaili and Xijiang and from there to Zhaoxing and Sanjiang?

is Xijiang 'better' than Zhaoxing?

Im trying to find out the best villages to stop in that area.

thanks

12 replies to this topic
Xi'an, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
1. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

The best villages they once were have been pretty over-developed like Xijiang because of the relatively easy access. In fact, you will encounter numerous villages and towns known or unknown en route to Guilin by rural bus or mini van run by local people. This is enough to enrich your trip. Well known spots might be disappointing, while unknown may be delighting.

Be aware the names you mentioned are not one village itself. Zhaoxing has neighbours like Tangan, Xiage connected by a little hiking through terraced rice fields. Chengyang Bridge is actually also a cluster of villages.

BTW, it will be drizzling in spring in this region.

kashgar
2. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

Hi there ,

I really would not say Xinjiang or zhaoxing is best or can fill your trip dreams .

Xinjiang and zhaoxing has different ethnic groups so there will be huge difference on what you will come through , anyway if you do not think xinjiang is far it has quite intersting places ,village ,life and customs .

if you like to see more traditional village life the villages in kashgar and hotan are good .

Best Wishes!

Silkroadeasytour Team .

www.silkroadeasytour.com

australia
3. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

hI

Having been to both and to Shaoxing twice , I prefer Shaoxing of course .

It is a beautiful Dong village , fabulous structures with some excellent walking in the area .plesant place to relax sitting on all the benches which dot the stream that run through Shaoxing

Tang An is a beautifully maintained village in co operation with the norwegian government.

There is a fabulously old rain and wind bridge which is below the village as you come up from Shaoxing.

chinadiscover.net/china-tour/guizhouguide/zh…

Sadly the other villages in the area are extremely poor as tourisim of any kind has passed them by

Before the new expressway from Kali to Guilin it was over an 8 hour bus trip through the mountains to get to Conjiang , overnight and then to Shaoixing next day

The mountain bus trip was as spectacular as you could imagine .

You could do it still by town hopping

2 Years ago the bus to conjiang turned of the expressway just before Conjiang From there you can catch buses to Gulin or Guiyang.

From Shaoxing I caught abus at around 7.45 to Sanjiang and from there to Gulin arricing about 4 pm

Ther were very few chinese tourists on both visits and they were independents .

Roads were incredibly rough a few years ago which detered most of the chinese but with better roads now it is no doubt starting to get swamped , sadly but thats progress

Xijiang is, aI believe, a Miao village , nestled in a valley and it is spectacular to see as you drop into the valley . However being so close to Kaili it is beseiged by tour groups .

Best to go and stay overnight then it is a more enjoyable place

If you had to make a choice , its Shaoxing , LP decscribes it as as '' a gorgeous village ' how true .

It was a wow moment for me when first saw it.

Cheers

australia
4. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

Hi

Ran out of edit time in the previous post so a little more

If you will be in Fenghuang then you must go to Dehang they are chalk and cheese.

Feng has one small beautiful old part remaining and the rest is like all the ''old towns'' recreated add ons and have to say most are done well but there is certainly a ''disney '' feel to them

I have never seen so many dress up costumes in my travels as I saw in Feng.

It is packed with chinese tourists with the odd white face amongst them

For me its Shaoxing in terms of Originality , Crowds lack of and Relaxation

Cheers

Israel
5. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

thanks for the info.

im planning on getting to Dehang and Fenghuang after Zhangjiajie.

does it worth getting to Zhenyuan after Fenghuang? or is it almost the same?

thanks

Xi'an, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
6. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

Similar town facing river, but Fenghung beats Zhenyuan although you have more peace in Zhenyuan. You could search for photos and compare.

australia
7. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

Hi

Agree with red

Certainly is quiter than Feng though still a lot of chinese tourists but they are everywhere theses days

Nothing like Feng though

It is a pleasant river town , interesting architecture and a very interesting temple above the river and town.

But I do think the other towns mentioned have a lot more to offer , but again it depends on your interests.

It is on the train line to Kaili though

Cheers

Israel
8. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

thanks a lot guys.

There are so many villages to see in that area.

Im thinking about doing that:

Dehang,Fenghuang,Sanjiang(chengyang),Zhaoxing (maybe also Basha), Longsheng (ping'an and around that rice terraces area) and guilin and Yangshuo.

how's that sound? am I missing a nice place? I just think that it's a long detour just for Xijiang (from Xijiang to Zhaoxing is a rough long ride...right?)....

thanks

Xi'an, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
9. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

You could save the time spent on detour of Xijiang to Longli based from Zhaoxing.

Longli is nice Chinese ancient town undisturbed by tourists.

Israel
10. Re: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?

im trying to look for Longli on google maps.

i found a place very close to Guiyang. is that the place?

Reply to: Does it worth to see Xijiang and Zhaoxing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaili