We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangshuo from Shanghai/Ningbo

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
winston-salem...
reviews: 10
Yangshuo from Shanghai/Ningbo

My husband and I are spending 12 days in China in October. We are flying into Shanghai and leaving from Beijing. I have my heart set on spending 3 or 4 days in Yangshuo and surrounding area, but he thinks it is too far and will cost us time traveling.

I do not want to spend our entire time in cities and would like to go where we can bike or walk to see rural life (like that around Yangshuo). Is there an area closer to Shanghai or Beijing that might fit the bill?

If we do decide to go to Yangshou (via Guilin) should we fly or take the train?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Magog, Canada
reviews: 550
1. Re: Yangshuo from Shanghai/Ningbo

Fly for sure. I never take the train if it is more than 3 hours.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 100
2. Re: Yangshuo from Shanghai/Ningbo

What dates are you in China? Please remember the first week in National Week, a big nation-wide holiday when hundreds of millions of Chinese travel.

Fly nonstop from Shanghai to Guilin and get a taxi to Yangshuo. Every city transfer takes around 1/2 day, the bulk of the time being packing, checking out, taxi to airport, security lines and waiting, then baggage waiting at destination, taxi to hotel, check in and unpacking. The flight itself is not the major portion of the time spent traveling.

You could head over to Huangshan, Yellow Mountain, but it would take you as long or longer to get there, even though it is closer to Shanghai. Huangshan is not to be visited during National Week as mobs of vacationers are there.

You are right that spending all the time in the busy and somewhat hazy and polluted cities is not the best experience. Roughly 50% of China is still rural in nature, family farms and village life. Only (!) 23 million of China's 1.3 billion live in Shanghai, for example, a slightly smaller number in Beijing.

On a longer trip, I would suggest southwest China such as Sichuan or Yunnan provinces, but for 12 days, Yangshuo is a great place to spend two or three full days.

Guilin
3. Re: Yangshuo from Shanghai/Ningbo

Yes, it's convinient to take by train from Shanghai to Guilin. It's also very cheap. Yangshuo is the right place to bike or walk to see rural life. Really wonderful. I am in Guilin now, where Yangshuo County is located. If you have any questions about yangshuo or Guilin, feel free to ask me.

Good luck. I love Yangshuo, and I love Guilin.

4. Re: Yangshuo from Shanghai/Ningbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 06, 2012