We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenery

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anderson, Indiana
reviews: 4
scenery

For scenery and cormorant fishing, is Yangshuo considered better than Guilin? My husband was in Guilin 30 years ago. Ever since then, I have wanted to go there. As I read these forum postings, it sounds as if Yangshuo is better. What makes it rate better. Thanks. Marlyne

Magog, Canada
reviews: 457
1. Re: scenery

As you say, you are going to this region for the scenery. Guilin is a city (most certainly bigger than 30 years ago) while Yangshuo is a small village in the countryside. You get on a bike and within 5 minutes you are riding through the rice fields..... Scenery is better appreciated in the countryside.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 157
2. Re: scenery

Guilin is horrible IMO. Just a big city as JPDeM said.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: scenery

I visited Guilin & Yangshuo last oct. Yes, Yangshuo is definitely much better

in terms of scenery.While you are in Yangshuo try to go for the river cruise

on a bamboo raft on the Yulong river, it is a wonderful experience, I am

sure you will enjoy it. The Yulong river is very much smaller than the Li river.The Li river cruise is a must for every visitor but I think the Yulong

river cruise is much better.

yangshuo
4. Re: scenery

There are 12 counties in Guilin, Yangshuo is a county of guilin.guilin is beautiful ,but yangshuo is more beautiful than guilin.

Amsterdam
reviews: 6
5. Re: scenery

While yulong river is smaller and more piecefull, you will also be nagged by local people on boats trying to sell you drinks, food and photo's. I found that a major downside of this boat trip.

You do not have this on the Li river. But that one is more noisy, because all the boats are motorized.

If you really into scenery, and have the time, also visit the rice fields at Longji. You will stay there in an hotel somewhere at the top, and the view from the room is magnificent.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 79
6. Re: scenery

We had a different experience, BePu, eating freshly caught and fried fish as they came out of the portable propane deep fryers along the Yulong. Can't get any fresher than that.

I guess you are objecting to the quantity, not the quality. Yes, it can seem a blight on the landscape every now and then.

The beauty of Longji depends on the time of year. In fall, before the harvest, the terraces lose their distinct levels and are filled with long yellowing rice stalks bending over naturally. You get none of water and separate levels apparent after planting in the spring.

It still is highly recommended if this is your one opportunity to see them. Just don't expect in the fall the classic photography you see so often. Wonderful food there and great hospitality.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 3
7. Re: scenery

Yangshuo definitely for the scenery. Spent only 1 night Guilin but 4 nights in Yangshuo. Didn't catch cormorant fishing, watched it before on BBC Wild China, find it unnatural and cruel to the birds.

1 tip to avoid the hassle of hawkers/phototakers at the Yulong River is to check with your hotel to make a special booking to raft before the official opening 0800 hrs. I did mine much earlier from ChaoYang pier with complete peace and solitude on the river. You also get to see the calm reflection of the karst hills from the undisturbed water, which you may not get if other rafts are present.

Anderson, Indiana
reviews: 4
8. Re: scenery

Thanks for the great ideas. We are going in the Fall, so it is good to know about the terraces in that season. Two more questions: Don't you miss some scenery along the Li River if you don't do that cruise? All of the pictures of the calm water and Karst surrounding the water, is none of that in Guilin. Or Is there more of it in Yangshou? Thanks. Marlyne

Yangshuo
9. Re: scenery

scenery of Guilin is best in the World,but the scenery of Yangshuo is the best in Guilin

australia
10. Re: scenery

Hi

For spectacular scenery , many say its the best on the river and away from the crowds take a river trip between Yandgi to Xingping or in reverse.

You can also do the river walk between the two and make a day of it . You would not be disappointed with either or both options.It is a brilliant day

To truly capture the essence of the karst climb Laozhi hill

globenotes.com/travel-photo/…

which is near the docks at Xingping.There are 1500 steps to the top and straight up . Spectacular

There is still some of old Xingping left and some people are restoring the old houses in the streets . This will give you an idea of what Yangshou was like some 30years ago . Think west street.

If you do the river trip its between 2/3 hours depending which way , against the flow or otherwise , do it early as the boats from Guilin start arriving in Yangdi after 11 and there can be up to 400 on a busy day , noisy and disturbing . according to our boat man there was over 100 the day we went. We encountered them on the walk back from Yangdi though they werent a problem whilst walking

Cheers , do it

Edited: 6:25 pm, June 04, 2011