We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report june

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oosterhout, The...
reviews: 4
Trip report june

Before traveling to China I've read a lot on this forum. Before Yangshuo we went to Beijing and Xi'an. We really wanted to get away from the big city's and see the nature and chinese life.

We booked a room with the Yangshuo Mountain retreat hotel. Before I doubted about this hotel and the li river retreat. The Yangshuo mountain retreat hotel was about 10 km from Yangshuo, but we actually liked that very much! The place was really like paradise. Breakfast along the river, nice and quit and very kind staff. We booked a larger room, which was great and modern. The food also was delicious. It really made our stay very pleasant.

We wanted to see and do quit a lot. In the big city's we arranged everything by ourselves, but we were a bit in doubt if we could manage this in a more remote place. Also we wanted to meet local people and learn more about Chinese life and culture. In the end we opted for an English speaking guide Amy.

This really made our trip unforgettable. She introduced us to local farmers during our travel with a bamboo boat along the li river. It was the first time for these farmers to meet tourist at their home. They were really friendly, offering us peanuts, pancake and local cookies. We felt really honored to meet this family, a memory that will last.

We also did the bicycle trip along the countryside. This is really something everyone should do. The temperature was very high, but Amy chose little roads with shade and breathtaking views. We didn't meet any other tourist, making us really feel alone in this great landscape. On our way we met farmers harvesting melons, we saw buffalo´s and visited local farmers and restaurants. Halfway we rested during the yu long river float, a 2 hour trip on a bamboo raft. After this float we went to moonhill to eat some delicious catfish in beer, which is a local speciality. After a full day we could barley move a muscle, but we felt really cheerful because of all the great things we saw.

We also visited the light show, butterfly cave and old villages. These were all great, but the Dragon Bone Rice Terraces were even better. It was very rainy, but when we climbed to the top the sky opened. The view was beautiful. Amy told us it was possible to stay one or more nights in minority villages if we had more time. These villages are not very influenced by tourism, so that is really something we would like to do if we come back. We certainly will!

All in all we were very pleased with our stay in Yangshuo. It was not as touristic as I expected and the views, people and atmosphere was great!

I can really recommend both the yangshuo mountain retreat hotel and most of all our guide Amy. Her personal and passionate approach was so warm, it really moved us. You can contact her via guidetoyangshuo.webs.com or

linfengamy2004 (at) yahoo.com.cn

Magog, Canada
reviews: 549
1. Re: Trip report june

Will you also write trip reports about Beijing in Xi'An so as to give credibility to this one?

Oosterhout, The...
2. Re: Trip report june

Thanks for you reply JP. I will also write trip reports about Beijing and Xian soon.

Chicago
reviews: 7
3. Re: Trip report june

Glad to hear about Amy. I have a day booked with her in September and am looking forward to it.

boston
reviews: 198
4. Re: Trip report june

Great report. We will be there in 2 months time and we're happy to say we hope to do all that you did too. Good to know it is not as "touristy" as we were thinking. Please do post other cities as we will be visiting there as well. Thanks!

Magog, Canada
reviews: 549
5. Re: Trip report june

Yangshuo not touristy? In the evening you can hardly walk around West Street. Think Fenway Park at the end of the game.

This whole report looks suspicious. Let's wait and see other reports from this poster before anyone can rely on it.....

Oosterhout, The...
6. Re: Trip report june

Ofcourse, Yangshuo can be touristic, but it all depends on the places and time you are there. We only visited west street in the afternoon and only for a short while. The places and sites we visited were not crowded. Even the 'souvenir' streets and the bambooraft was not very busy. We asked Amy to eat at local places and markets, not visited by tourists. This was really an unique experience, espescially the different food we ate (we declined the frogs ;).

I don't know why my report is suspicious, but I finally got some time to write a report on Beijing, you can see it here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k294…

Xi'an will follow later.

7. Re: Trip report june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 10, 2010