We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jiayuguan - is 24 hours enough?

Which Jiayuguan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florianopolis, SC
reviews: 6
Jiayuguan - is 24 hours enough?

Hello,

I'm doing the final details on my trip to China on May, 2013.

As I'll do an itinerary along the Hexi Corridor, starting in Jiayuguan, I'd like to know:

Is 24 hours enough for Jiayuguan's main highlights?

I shall arrive at the airport at around 16:00, will have a night at downtown then will leave the city by train the next day at around 15:00.

I plan to visit the Overhanging Great Wall, the Fort and the Fire Tower (if it is actually worth the visit). Considering my timeframe is possible to do these highlights without hurrying up? In order to save time going around these spots I'd go by taxi.

I have no idea on what is the recommended time to allocate for each of these attractions. 2 hours each is enough? 3 hours?

On the first day I'm thinking about the Overhanging Great Wall as I've read it closes later (7:00 PM) in Spring, so going there and spending about one to two hours is enough?

Then, on next morning I plan to visit the First Fire Tower (about one to two hours) and then going to the Fort, spending the rest of the morning in there. Then it is time to lunch, pack things up and head to the railway station.

Also, I read about the Fort's ticket allowing for entrance in the other spots (First Fire and Overhanging Great Wall). Is that correct?

Any suggestions or changes are very welcome.

Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
beijing
reviews: 5
11. Re: Jiayuguan - is 24 hours enough?

Specific link to a very useful satellite map from the same forum, scroll down past the photos:

greatwallforum.com/forum/jiayuguan/563-jiayu…

Edited: 4:12 am, April 12, 2013
Florianopolis, SC
reviews: 6
12. Re: Jiayuguan - is 24 hours enough?

Hi, kvchina,

Again, thank you for your help!

I took notes on all you've written and also took the maps and forum you pointed me to. Those will be of great help.

As for the tablet, I wish I have a smartphone, as it is lighter, smaller and less eye-catching to others, but I'm actually trying to save money for this trip and the tablet is an almost two years-old device I have at home, so it is what I got for now. I'll try to pop it out of my bag only when needed as I don't like to do show offs. Not that I'm naive (I live in Brazil, let's say that I kind of have an 'experience' in this area) and believe China is a paradise without violence, but I believe that it is much safer than in my home country, violence wise.

My writing skills for hanzi are really poor (I take minutes to write down/copy a single line of hanzi characters text, LOL. It is much better if I go with them printed, which I will do. I'll print the Jiayuguan maps and take them with me to do the old point-to-show-where-you-want-to-go game with the drivers. As long as it works, I'll be OK, as I've read and will take some informative texts with me on the visit.

Your schedule was exactly what I was expecting for, as it fills my schedule as well in a timely manner, thank you very much, I'll print that and take it with me as well. This thread has become a very valuable piece of info on Jiayuguan.

Thank you very much!

Reply to: Jiayuguan - is 24 hours enough?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jiayuguan