We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning sites to visit with kids, and tour or /drive?

Which San Pedro de Atacama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iquique, Chile
reviews: 1
Planning sites to visit with kids, and tour or /drive?

Hi There, we will be traveling at the end of the month and will have 3 small children (3,7 and 9). I will have a pickup truck, so should be able to get into most places, and it is easier sometimes working on our own schedule, taking breaks, etc. so driving on our own would be preferable.

So I guess my question is 2 parts, what sites would you recommend for a family with 3 young kids, and of those would you recommend a tour or on our own?

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

Delavan, Illinois
reviews: 35
1. Re: Planning sites to visit with kids, and tour or /drive?

Definitely the geysers. We did it from Iquique as well, and did it on our own. Was glad to have a 4-wheel drive Jeep -- more for the clearance than for the 4-wheel capabilities, though I did use it crossing a stream once.

Also, I remember some place between Calama and San Pedro pulling off the road and turning off the lights just to take in the sky. Now, there are plenty of places that have dark skies in northern Chile, but that stretch seemed to have the brightest stars I have ever seen. Give yourself at least 15 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark. Absolutely incredible.

2. Re: Planning sites to visit with kids, and tour or /drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama