We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

Which San Pedro de Atacama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calama, Chile
Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

Hi,

Does anybody have other options on how to do this trip? i used Licancabur transfers for return trip on Friday last week and was left stranded in San Pedro with two small kids, no accomodation avail etc. the trip is easy but i need to use a reliable company. Anybody else had these issues with Licancabur ??

Cheers

Carl

25 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
1. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

It isn't clear which way you were travelling. They were supposed to pick you up in San Pedro and didn't?

There are ordinary buses between Calama and San Pedro or taxis. Those would be the other alternatives.

Calama, Chile
2. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

I was trying to get back to Calama and they stranded us in San Pedro with no taxis avail at 20h30 at night. I had pe-paid the 80000 Pesos return trip. Regards

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
3. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

I see. I am not sure about taxis but I don't think there are ordinary buses after 20:30 pm. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem before so I wouldn't think it was common. Previously one had to phone the number on the receipt to book the return trip as they didn't have an office in SPA but I don't know how they work reservations now. I hope you were able to get a refund and an explanation.

Canberra, Australia
reviews: 44
4. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

We used transport licancabur to get to and from Calama/San Pedro recently. We thought they were excellent. We booked our transfers online in advance. The company contacted us by email the day before each transfer to confirm it (we had to translate the Spanish which was easy enough online) and arrived at our hotel on time to take us back to San Pedro. They actually went to the trouble of confirming our flight arrival time with the airline, which saved us great inconvenience because our flight had been delayed by 3 hours and the airline hadn't told us! We were lucky transport licancabur were so thorough.

Sao Paulo, SP
reviews: 11
5. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

I recently used Translicancabur services and I was really disappointed with it, despite the fact that it was really easy to book and they always answered e-mails promptly. The problem was that we had to wait for more than an hour for the shuttle and we were told that it would leave in 20 minutes. Be careful if you plan to book their services in the low season because they keep passengers waiting until they can fill the vehicle.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
6. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

That is also how the transfers work from Santiago airport. They are shared transport so you do have to wait for other passengers to arrive and perhaps also for people to be dropped at other hotels at the other end. In high season it is not as noticeable as the vans fill quickly. But the alternatives, if you are not being picked up by a hotel transport, is a very expensive taxi ride for the 1.5 hour trip or a taxi into Calama from the airport and a bus to San Pedro de Atacama.

Edited: 11:59 pm, May 04, 2013
Lambertville, New...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

The trip to and from the Calama airport to San Pedro was the only difficulty we had during our 2 weeks in Chile. Our hostel arranged for a transport that never showed up at the airport. After several hours, we managed to get on Licancabur and had an uneventful trip to San Pedro. On the way back, we again took Licancabur. They were almost an hour late to pick us up, then drove around town filling the van, and, when we finally got on the highway, turned around and went back to town b/c another passenger had forgotten some luggage there. To make up the lost time, the driver drove aggressively (to say the least), and we did make it on time.

Bottom line: it seems like Licancabur is the only semi-reliable transport and it's probably best to book them ahead of time through the San Pedro tourism website. But be prepared for some delays. The only other choice seems to be to take a bus from the Calama bus station, which is not close to the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

So from what I read, it seems better to take a taxi from Calama and take bus to San Pedro. Do I have to book the bus in advance? We will be there on Nov 1st and coming back on Nov 4th. I read there are quite a few buses in town. However they are all in different places for boarding.

Lambertville, New...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

All things considered, I would book Transport Licancabur from the airport to San Pedro and back. Downtown Calama is not very close to the airport and the town seemed pretty gritty. That said, we were not impressed by Licancabur and we didn't try the public buses. There doesn't seem to be a great choice.

Barcelona, Spain
10. Re: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro

We went from Calama to San Pedro and it was ok. The problem is that sometimes buses are full.

Maect

www.unmundoparaviajarlo.com

Reply to: Transport from Calama Airport to San Pedro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted