We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barra da Tijuca -- recommend?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 2
Barra da Tijuca -- recommend?

Hi

We are looking at staying at a hotel near Barra, as I've heard it's a quieter, cleaner beach -- but it looks quite far out, is this going to be a problem for travelling around etc?

Any advice on Barra in general also much appreciated,

Thanks

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 13
1. Re: Barra da Tijuca -- recommend?

Greetings,

Barra da Tijuca is a very nice place to stay while in Rio de Janeiro.

Yes, it is far from the more famous beaches of Zona Sul (Ipanema, Leblon and Copacabana) but taxis are plentiful and relatively inexpensive and you can easily get from Barra da Tijuca to Ipanema in about 20 to 30 minutes depending on time of day and traffic congestion.

The beaches of Barra da Tijuca are very clean and almost tranquil when compared to Ipanema and Copacabana.

If you are thinking of staying in Barra, then consider staying at the Sheraton Barra Hotel. The Sheraton Barra is one of the nicest hotels in Rio and it is relatively new (not certain but I think it was opened between 3 and 4 years ago). The rooms with a view of the ocean are wonderful and each room has a large balcony. The service at the Sheraton is very fine and the staff are, across the board, professional, polite and most helpful. The breakfast buffet is quite decent with the usual selection of breads, meats, cheeses, hot dishes and fruit juices.

The Sheraton Barra offers a free shuttle bus to the Barra Shopping Mall, which is one of the largest, if not the largest, shopping centers in Brazil. Barra shopping also has lots of inexpensive places to eat from well-known fast food restaurants to more elaborate fare.

The Concierge at the Sheraton Barra can arrange for tours, car service and airport transfers but as I mentioned above, you can always hail a taxi and ask to be taken to Ipanema, Corcovado or wherever you would like to go. Taxis are inexpensive but make sure you do have a good idea of what a trip will cost before hand so that you do not get either surprised or scammed by an unscrupulous driver. If you want the name and contact info of an honest driver who speaks moderate english and who will not "take you for a ride", send me an e-mail at:

Brazil.Bound@GMail.Com

and I will send you his phone number and e-mail address.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

London
reviews: 2
2. Re: Barra da Tijuca -- recommend?

Thanks for your advice!

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 13
3. Re: Barra da Tijuca -- recommend?

Greetings,

You are most welcome!

I wanted to add one more thing about the Sheraton Barra Hotel.

The Sheraton Barra is directly across the street from the beach and it even provides a beach service for hotel guests where you can get chairs and towels and beverages.

Though if you are thirsty while on the beach, there is a little luncheonette just at sidewalk level (on the beachside and directly across from the Sheraton) where they will sell you beer, soda and prepare great hot sandwiches. In fact, this luncheonette has a great fish platter which you can eat there at the sidewalk tables, on the beach or take back to the hotel. Just something to consider versus the king's ransom you will pay for an equivalent meal insode the hotel.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

4. Re: Barra da Tijuca -- recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 23, 2009