We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake District
reviews: 10
Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

Hi, will be staying at the Windsor Atlantica on Copacabana - is it an easy (and safe) walk from this hotel to the Sugar Loaf cable car station? Also, is it a reasonable walk to the Botanical gardens as well?

many thanks.

17 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
1. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

No, they're both very long walks. Take a taxi or public transportation.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
2. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

Don't walk. Although the area is generally safe, the tunnel which connects Copacabana and Botafogo (which you'd have to cross) is a well known mugging spot. Boys from the favelas hide inside the tunnel.

Take a cab to the Sugar Loaf...it should cost you something like R$ 10.

You can take public transportation to the Botanical Gardens as well, but you'll have to walk to Rua Barata Ribeiro in Copacabana.

Lake District
3. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

Many thanks - hadn't realised there was a tunnel involved!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
4. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

There’s also a tunnel connecting Copacabana and Ipanema—equally dangerous.

Rio’s tunnels are magnets for muggers. Pedestrians (tourists especially) would do well to stay away from them—day and night.

Rio de Janeiro...
reviews: 50
5. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

Actually i have walked through this Tunnel a few times without any problem. It's a responsability to say "go", but there is always a police car parked just before the tunnel, even before the world cup.

It's not far at all wallking to the Sugar Loaf, especially if you cut the way through the Sgopping Rio Sul, and enter Rua Lauro Muller. It shoud not take more than 15 minutes, in a very feasable walk So the decision is up to you.

Rio de Janeiro...
reviews: 50
6. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

The tunnel has the length of an olympic pool.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
7. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

I have a couple of friends who have been mugged at this specific tunnel. Both are experienced residents of Rio. I've never been mugged, but I avoid certain behaviors...one of them is crossing tunnels. It doesn't mean it'll happen, but if it can be avoided, why not avoid it?

Edinburgh
reviews: 72
8. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

As I know that area of Copa very well, I've also walked that tunnel many times, mostly just to get something from the Rio Sul mall the other side, and because when you stay in an area for months at a time it's tempting to take chances; but I would seriously not recommend it to a newcomer unless you like taking risks. It's longer than it looks and, although there are often police about, unless there are police both sides at both ends and in the middle there is no way they can cover it properly. I'd generally get a bus even just one stop. But then it means crossing over, sometimes waiting for the traffic and so on, so sometimes I wouldn't bother, especially if I wasn't carrying much of any value.

A 511/512 takes you all the way to Sugar Loaf (URCA). If you fancy a walk, get off a little earlier – the tree lined highway as you turn into Urca is quite pleasant – in fact most of the Urca peninsular is pleasant and safe for walking and relaxing. Only the bit immediately adjacent to the cable cars heading up Sugar Loaf is very touristy.

Edinburgh
reviews: 72
9. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

One tip for the Botanical Gardens - time your journey to avoid rush hour either way. Traffic along the road there can be quite bad. Also allow plenty of time there. It's big and really worth the time.

If you don't mind walking a couple of blocks when you come out, you get to Lagoa (check the map - it's a safe area but taking the wrong turning can be tiring). This enormous lake is a walkers'/cyclists'/joggers paradise, with purpose tracks around, with beautiful views. If you go anticlockwise you come to the upmarket Jockey Club area. If you go clockwise, you pass the entrance to the beautiful Catacumba Park, a gentle hillside walk (spot the interesting sculptures as you go) from the top of which you get a fabulous view across the surrounding districts.) From there, you can eventually reach Cantagalo Metro (again, check your map), and a couple of stops to Cardeale Arcoverde, or the alternatively a (long!) stroll along the beach, and you are back at your end of Copa. Lagoa is big, so don't over-tire yourself

Another lovely area for strolling, much smaller than the Botanics but quite nearby is Parque Lage. Although it's not far, you are walking against busy traffic on that stretch and if it were me I'd cross over and grab a cab for the short distance (it's also worth getting a cab from the Botanics to Lagoa if you want to avoid spoiling an 'enjoying nature' day with navigating busy roads). Alternatively, to head home from the Botanics if you don't see any taxis, a lot of buses will go to Botafogo. From there, enjoy the restuarants, clubs, cinemas, bars and views before getting a bus or metro one stop back into your part of Copa.

Lake District
10. Re: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?

Thanks for all the info. Is it not possible to walk all along the seafront from Copa to Ipanema then without resorting to the tunnel? Also, is it easy to just flag down a taxi (yellow ones I presume) or are they at specific ranks?

Cheers for all your help.

Reply to: Walk from Copacabana to Sugar Loaf?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted