We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

I'm going to be arriving in Rio on Monday morning from the US. Shall I take a radio taxi from the airport to my hotel which is in Ipanema? It's what $R30-40? Also, I'll be able to exchange my US dollars at Rio airport correct? Thanks!!

Rio
reviews: 1
1. Re: To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

A radio taxi will cost more than R$40. Closer to 60. A regular taxi will cost about 35.

There is an ATM at the airport. It is best for getting local currency at airport. There is a currency exchange desk in the airport but the rate is not particularly good after factoring in fees. ATMs are the way to go when you ahere.

San Diego, CA
2. Re: To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

If I alrady have American dollars on me, what is the best way to change it into Reals? Should I go to a local bank? A currency exchange office at another hotel in Ipanema? I don't know if the hotel I'm staying at has a currency office window.

Princeton, New...
reviews: 55
3. Re: To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

If you have US dollars on you and don't want to use an ATM, hotels can have good rates, but you should know what the official rates is before you ask them. Some of the change windows are better and offer black-market rates, but you have to make sure they don't charge a commission. I've used ATMS in Brazil since 1996 and feel they are the best way to go.

Rio
reviews: 1
4. Re: To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

many big hotel exchange rates are ridiculous. Change at any one of dozens of cambio desks/houses usually found in travel agency store front offices - easy to find.

5. Re: To: Darmanad, Johnny D, and DJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 15, 2009