We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lounges at GIG

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Lounges at GIG

Hello!

I am having a very difficult time confirming what Airline Lounges are currently open for access at GIG airport!?!

Can someone help me out by confirming what Airline Lounges are currently open for use at GIG? There locations (terminal 1 or 2) would be very helpful too!

Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
1. Re: Lounges at GIG

Would check out the Star Alliance and One World Homepages mate. Good start there.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
2. Re: Lounges at GIG

GIG’s two terminals are interconnected by a long indoor hallway with a moving walkway.

GIG Terminal Maps:

http://bit.ly/19uEmK1

http://bit.ly/Jlxncx

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 6
3. Re: Lounges at GIG

Which airline will you fly ??? As they are making many construction activities at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, many lounges were closed and airlines are sharing the existing ones. For examples, TAM passengers are using the GOL Airlines Smiles lounges while the new TAM lounge is being built. Same situation for the passengers of American Airlines (they use GOL lounge too). United Airlines passengers use SEA lounge on Terminal 2. Air France pax use SEA Lounge on Terminal 1.

As the airport is not ready, many lounges are scheduled to open or reopen.

Minneapolis...
4. Re: Lounges at GIG

We will be arriving into Rio on TAM....(FOR - GIG arriving in terminal 2)

Then we are departing on Delta....(GIG - ATL departing out of terminal 2)

I spoke to American Airlines and they said a one day pass would work for entrance into the lounge. From my understanding this is the GOL Smiles Lounge that they are currently sharing?

Since I am arriving into GIG at terminal 2 and then after my 6 hour layover, flying out of terminal 2....Do I HAVE TO leave security to go check in for my Delta flight at the counter? Can't I just stay in terminal 2 and use my phone to check-in and/or check-in at the gate counter....

Philadelphia...
5. Re: Lounges at GIG

Can I piggy back from this if Mark G, doesn't care too much. If one was to buy a 1 day pass, is it done at the check-in counter or actually at the Lounge counter?

Minneapolis...
6. Re: Lounges at GIG

Angel. I spoke to American Airlines and confirmed that a one-day pass would allow for entrance into the lounge. They said I could pre purchase or buy it at the counter of the lounge and either way would work. (A lot of airlines allow you to pre purchase the pass using their website or mobile applications.)

I also spoke to United Airlines, but heard from them that a one-day pass WOULD NOT work for entrance into the lounge at GIG.

Philadelphia...
7. Re: Lounges at GIG

Thanks Mark, I'll be using US Airways, they are part of the 1-world. Their website says you can buy a 1 day pass for $29 online when you make your reservations or $50 at counter but it wasn't specific about it.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 6
8. Re: Lounges at GIG

Yes, Mark. The GOL Smiles Lounge is the one that they are currently sharing (GOL, TAM, AA, etc).

As I understood you will arrive at Terminal 2 with TAM and then will depart from Terminal 1 with Delta, right ? As you will have to move from one Terminal to another, you MUST leave the security area at Terminal2 because you will not connect to any airline there. Be adviced that most of the shops and stores at GIG are located OUTSIDE secure area. Basically after passing security there's almost nothing to see or buy. You will only find a few shops, snack bars and internet wifi.

You will have go to the Delta check-in counters at Terminal-1 to check-in and clear the security. There's no connector between Terminal 2 and 1 on transit area. Only on public area.

Hope this help you.

Edited: 5:10 pm, March 12, 2014
Minneapolis...
9. Re: Lounges at GIG

Nishan,

This is the first I've heard that Delta operates out of terminal 1.

Does Delta not have departing or arriving flights in terminal 2? The only Delta check in counter is in terminal 1?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
10. Re: Lounges at GIG

I can assure you Delta operates from Terminal 2...just like most intl companies these days. Delta moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 last year or in the end of 2012.

Reply to: Lounges at GIG
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted