We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi tipping and cash on hand

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coldwater, Ontario...
reviews: 5
Taxi tipping and cash on hand

Hi, I'm travelling to Rio for business later this month. My company has arranged for me to be picked up and dropped off at the airport and when travelling to and from our business facility, taxis service will be prearranged and paid for by the company. My question is, what is normal protocol for tipping the drivers. When I'm picked up from the airport and taken to my hotel, what is appropriate to tip the driver since I will not be paying for the fare? Also, should I get Brazilian currency in Ontario Canada from my bank so that I have money to tip on arrival, will they take Cdn or US currency? Can I get money at the airport? I'd like the easist and best rate on the dollar :-)

Thanks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 70
1. Re: Taxi tipping and cash on hand

We don't taxi cab drivers here, so it wouldn't be a problem for you not to tip him/her. It's not part of our culture. However, if you feel comfortable doing it, you may apply a percent over the price of the ride. At restaurants, tips come in your bill in a 10% basis. So if you feel comfortable doing it, you may want to add this same percent.

You can exchange money at the airport, but the rate won't be good. The best thing is to have some money exchanged there just in case and then exchange more at nearby exchange office (near the place where you'll be staying at).

Edited: 3:50 pm, February 04, 2014
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
2. Re: Taxi tipping and cash on hand

If the taxi driver helps you with your luggage, tip him R$2.

This recent link about tipping in general might be helpful.

http://bit.ly/MYiX48

3. Re: Taxi tipping and cash on hand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 06, 2015