We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Airport to Rio De Janiero - Taxi or Shuttle?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 1
Rio Airport to Rio De Janiero - Taxi or Shuttle?

My wife and I are flying into Rio next weekend and will need to travel from the airport to the city. Should we.....

* Pre-book a shuttle

* Get a shuttle upon our arrival

* Get a taxi upon arriving

Thanks very much for your help!

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 13
1. Re: Rio Airport to Rio De Janiero - Taxi or Shuttle?

Greetings,

I wouldn't worry about pre-booking a shuttle.

When you arrive in Rio de Janeiro, after clearing immigration and customs, you will find a couple of booths with women who will be doing their best to get your attention. These ladies work for radio taxi companies and you need only tell them where you want to go, whether you want a one-way or round-trip and then pay.

Radio Taxis are more expensive than the regular taxis you'll find outside the airport, but they are very safe and you have recourse in the event you need to contact the taxi company again (e.g. you accidently left an item in the taxi). Also with the radio taxis you will pay a flat rate at the booth (the rate depending on how far from the airport you are traveling) and thereby needn't worry about the driver not turning on the meter or othewise "taking you for a ride" to punch up the fare. I believe the names of the radio taxi companies are called Transcopass and Cootramo but they are essentially the same company and it really doesn't matter which you choose.

Now, as I said above, the radio taxis are more expensive (perhaps as high as 30% to 50% more) than the regular taxis but I think that for the peace of mind and the comfort they are worth it. If you do buy a round-trip fare, you will be given a voucher that you will present to the driver on the day of your departure. You can have your hotel call the taxi company when you are ready to leave and the taxi will be there in a jiffy.

Even if you decide not to use the radio taxis, don't trouble yourself with pre-booking a shuttle or car service since your transport can be very easily be arranged upon your arrival in Rio.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

Nashville, TN
2. Re: Rio Airport to Rio De Janiero - Taxi or Shuttle?

I would not worry about pre-booking. There are plenty of taxis there. I recommend the Radio Taxi's. The fare from the airport to Ipanema or Copacabana which is where most tourists go is set at 60 Reals right now which is about $27.

Rio
reviews: 1
3. Re: Rio Airport to Rio De Janiero - Taxi or Shuttle?

For additional info click on Rio de Janeiro Overview and then click on Arriving and Departing and also click on Taxis and Rental cars.

Chattanooga...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Rio Airport to Rio De Janiero - Taxi or Shuttle?

I would agree the Radio Taxi's are a very safe way to get into the city.

Most companies will give you a card to use for future trips that offers a 10% discount, mention when calling for a reservation & present to your driver.

The Cooper's rule the Radio Taxi's.

For the more BUDGET minded & adventure oriented try the REAL Onibus which takes you to several different areas and only runs $3R's -$6R's one-way (Vs. $50 R's!). Air-conditioned, comfortable, and safe.

You can catch it outside or for help in English they have an office downstairs just inside of where you board .

They go down Atlantic Ave where the majority of the hotels (tourist) will be staying as well the Domestic Airport "Santos Dumont" (SDU) and Rio Sul shopping center.