We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to walk and tour around downtown (centro) Rio?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grande Prairie...
Is it safe to walk and tour around downtown (centro) Rio?

Hello TA,

I wanted to know if it was possible for my wife and I, who have never been to Rio, to walk around by ourselves (without a guide) to the major tourist spots in Centro during the day?

If it is possible, what is the best way to get around Centro? Walking, Omnibus, Metro, Taxi?

We were thinking about using a guide, but we like to walk around and explore and take our time, but if it is unsafe during the day (8:00am-4:00pm) then we will use a guide.

Please let me know and if there are any other pieces of info I need to know?

Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
11. Re: Is it safe to walk and tour around downtown (centro) Rio?

The best places to stay in Rio are Ipanema, Leblon, and Copacabana.

When are you planning to come, and how much are you hoping to spend per night for a room?

12. Re: Is it safe to walk and tour around downtown (centro) Rio?

july 13 stay for 5 night.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
13. Re: Is it safe to walk and tour around downtown (centro) Rio?

You may want to have a look at the Ibis Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, which is brand new and gets very good reviews. Hotels in Ipanema and Leblon tend to be much more expensive.

http://bit.ly/XSG55I

14. Re: Is it safe to walk and tour around downtown (centro) Rio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 25, 2014