We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering Work?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Volunteering Work?

Hello,

I am travelling around South America in July/August/September this year.

At the end of my trip I have 6 days to spare in Rio and was looking to do some volunteering work but everywhere I look they require you for a minimum of 7 days?

I was only looking to do 3 or 4 days...

Does anybody know of any good volunteering schemes in Rio where can I work for 3 or 4 days?

11 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
1. Re: Volunteering Work?

I would recommend that you contact The British and Commonwealth Society of Rio de Janeiro:

http://bit.ly/11aFPxy

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
2. Re: Volunteering Work?

Have a look at Iko Poran: http://www.ikoporan.org/en/

I'm not sure about minimum days, but I know some people that have volunteered and recommended Iko Poran. Cheers

London, United...
3. Re: Volunteering Work?

Thanks Guys

Rocinha, RJ, Brasil
4. Re: Volunteering Work?

companies like iko poran charge people to volunteer...these are scams in my opinion..if you do your research online you can find respectable organizations where you don't have to pay!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
5. Re: Volunteering Work?

Rocinhajj, I am a destination expert in Rio and I wouldn't post a scam. Iko Poran is not a scam and I have friends there helping the poor have better houses, teaching English, etc. You do have to pay for some of them, as they have to keep a structure in order to give support to the volunteers. For instance, Iko Poran and other organizations have staff available to help volunteers.

Edited: 1:33 pm, June 19, 2013
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
6. Re: Volunteering Work?

Simply because a fee might be involved does not make an NGO a “scam.”

There are many NGOs (non-profit organizations) that offer volunteer opportunities in Rio’s underprivileged communities.

http://bit.ly/14KbUAK

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
7. Re: Volunteering Work?

Be very, very sure about the visa status required. A couple of years ago, a couple of Europeans were arrested because they were in the country on tourist visas and were working as volunteers. Also look at what you can actually contribute to an organization, especially with just 3-4 days to spare. Manual labor is relatively inexpensive, so unless you have very specific skills that can be applied immediately, you could be a drain on their resources, especially for such a short stint. Most organizations would like money. If you don't speak Portuguese, and maybe even if you do, a group would have to devote someone to show you around, instruct you on the work, and maybe translate.

Perhaps you can find a group with English speakers to show you around so that you can help raise funds for them when you return home. But, IMHO, with just 3-4 days, you'd be best off on educating yourself as to what is needed. Maybe pick up trash if you want to do something. This is a very, very common question on the Lonely Planet Thorntree site, and the usual concensus is that unless you can dontate money, books,etc., your good intentions can be best applied after your trip. I'm in Brazil, and speak Portuguese, and have found it very difficult to find good volunteer opportunities, even for long stints. One can teach English, but 3-4 days would be useless.

Edited: 2:49 pm, June 19, 2013
Doha, Ad Dawhah...
8. Re: Volunteering Work?

Hello, I am in the very same situation!! Looking to volunteer for a week before I fly back to London on 13th August.

Have you had much luck/response from any organizations, Johno?

Katy

Miami
9. Re: Volunteering Work?

You would do more actual good for those in need by donating money to an agency that helps them.

To meet Brazilians, if that is the intent, is not difficult, though, if you speak some Portuguese.

London, United...
10. Re: Volunteering Work?

Hi all,

I was wondering if the people involved in this post, every actually found some place to go and help??

I'm looking to do some volunteering work for about a month in july this year, and was hoping you'd had some feedback. Ive read up about IKO PORAN but would much rather have my fee go to the people i'd be helping, instead of paying for charity overheads, no matter how valid they may be.

Any help would be great!

regards,

Kanav

Reply to: Volunteering Work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted