We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup 2014

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
World Cup 2014

Well, I've been wanting to go to Brazil forever and what better event than the World Cup.

I just have a couple questions/concerns...

I realize that Brazil security has drastically increased and I even watched an hour long video of how the slums of Rio are being confined by the government. This is all great news; however, being it the World Cup are my chances greater of being robbed or less likely. Since I am not a high roller, I assume that the petty thief's will be concentrating more of their time for those who are of the elite class (expensive items and such).

Also, i'm looking to stay in an apartment in Copacabana. Is that considered a good area/place? Also, is it common that there are apartment robbings? What if the apartment doesn't have a lock/safe...is it still a concern?

Is this a safe site to use for making apartment arrangements? https://www.airbnb.com

Also, what will the weather be like in June/July? I know it is Brazil's winter so I'm assuming less humidity and around 74 degrees cool weather?

Since I am planning to stay about 14 days, 2 weeks, is it possible to venture outside of Rio? If so, what would be the best places to visit within that 14 day span? I want to stay in secure and safe locations but also be able to see and experience beautiful nature cause that's all I care about.

How much money do I need on a daily basis? Especially since Rio is super expensive. I hear that ATM's will only allow a $300 withdrawal now for foreigners? Will this change for the World Cup? What's the safest way to carry money around? In socks/underwear etc? LOL

Last question, would it be unlikely for me to be able to visit the Amazon forest and iguazu falls

I understand that they are very far from Rio but those would be AMAZING places to visit considering how much I like nature and all.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get the best out of my trip and enjoy it fully without any incidents. I understand that Rio has tremendously improved in crime but I can only imagine what it will be like during the World Cup. Especially since it will only be and my GF traveling so we won't have the opportunity to be in large groups :/ So, that can definitely be a huge disadvantage

OH YEAH, before I forget, does anyone know how much preliminary round tickets are going to cost (group stages?) I understand that FIFA has like 3 million dollar package deals on their website but I'm talking about just specific games. Is it best to purchase the tickets now or in 2014 when all the teams have been drawn?

Thanks!! :)

34 replies to this topic
Wiltshire
reviews: 8
31. Re: World Cup 2014

I never understand when someone starts a thread, asks a zillion questions which amazingly Monte and others have gone through with a toothcomb and yet the original author is not heard from again. Well done to those who went to so much trouble.

Salvador, BA
reviews: 4
32. Re: World Cup 2014

Places and dates for the World Cup 2014 Brazil

City Stadium capacity built inhabitants

Belo Horizonte Mineirão 74.300 1965 2.450.000

Brasilia Estádio Nacional de Brasília 76.232 1974 2.400.000

Cuiabá Arena Pantanal 40.000 1974 545.000

Curitiba Arena da Baixada 41.375 1999 1.800.000

Fortaleza Castelão 60.000 1973 2.400.000

Manaus Arena Amazonia 40.550 1970 1.650.000

Natal Arena das Dunas 65.100 new 750.000

Porto Alegre Estádio Beira-Rio 60.000 1969 1.450.000

Recife Arena Cidade da Copa 46.160 new 1.500.000

Rio de Janeiro Maracanã 95.000 1950 6.150.000

Salvador Bahia Arena - Fonte Nova 44.100 new 3.800.000

São Paulo Novo Estádio do Corinthians 65.000 new 11.000.000

Here in Salvador the games will occur at these dates :

(and yes, the new stadium is already in use since several weeks !)

- 13th June : group B

- 16th June : group G

- 20th June : group E

- 25th June : group F

- 03rd Juli : eights finals

- 05th Juli : quarter finals

Greetz from the tropics of Salvador da Bahia

Ivan Bahia Basix

Denver
reviews: 5
33. Re: World Cup 2014

Thanks for the great info, Ivan!!

34. Re: World Cup 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 15, 2014

Reply to: World Cup 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted