We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 28
Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

I stayed at a B&B in Ipanema via Airbnb and loved it. After walking around Copacabana and other parts of the city, I was glad I chose Ipanema - the beach was great, there are lots of great food options and it felt very safe. It's a pretty intense place, however, because of the sheer mass of people and 24/7 vitality.

I loved the city's buses. From Ipanema, it's easy to catch a direct bus to either Corcovado or Sugar Loaf, or just about anywhere else for that matter.

Tip - It can be tough to flag down your bus because it can be at the back of a long line of buses that pulls up at same time. And before you know it, your bus can pull around the others and take off. Just be ready to wave like a madman.

There's lots of information about the airport buses in other threads, so all I have to add is that it's ridiculously stupid how difficult it is to get your luggage onto these buses. It's as if they were designed explicitly to not allow any luggage onboard.

If you do stay in Ipanema, don't miss watching a sunset from atop the rocks at the east end of the beach. Quite the nightly event.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
1. Re: Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us, Rasbobbo!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 4
2. Re: Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

Gald you had a good time! In which B&B did you stay?

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 14
3. Re: Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

Yes the buses are funny, they drive like loons and when they approach a bus stop they put their foot to the floor, woe betide you trying to stop one on their city circuit ride. Cant see the point in having the cashier and turnstile, why not just have the driver take the fare ?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 67
4. Re: Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

Rocky, because then you'd have to pre-sell the bus tickets due to the amount of people and crazyness in Rio. Otherwise, the buses would stop for a big while (and that's what happens with the few buses without a cashier). The fact is that we use buses as a primary mass transportation service, which is bad. A good idea would be to expand the subway and leave the buses as secondary, with fewer people, and, thus, no cashier. Or maybe start pre-selling somehow.

5. Re: Rio tips - was just there 4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, March 10, 2014