We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mikey-And-Dani
Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

Hi,

We will be staying right in the middle of the Copacabana beach strip and are considering renting a car for our stay and day trips.

Our hotel which is near the cross street - Rua Siqueira Campos - does not have a parking garage.

Is it possible and safe to park a car overnight on the streets in this area?

Are there local / affordable parking options in this area?

Thanks for your help!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 70
1. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

Well, first of all, Rio's traffic is crazy and drivers extremely impolite. So I really don't recommend renting a car also considering that you can do all major landmarks without a car (even on a bike). Public transportation is available on this part of the city (Copacabana has 3 subway stations and buses are all over) and cabs are not so expensive in Rio (rides around the south side might cost up to R$ 20). For a trip to another city, such as Búzios, renting a car might be a good option, on the other hand, even though you could still do it on a comfortable coach. I understand a car gives you a lot of freedom, but it's such a bad traffic here that I felt like I had to write about it.

Moreover, we don't have parkimeters in Rio. In some streets, we have guys that charge you a fee to park (they give a ticket for you to put it inside your car so that you won't be fined). They work for the city hall or for a company that works under concession. In the past, problems with people pretending to be these authorized parking people were very common - they still are depending on where you are parking, and that's problematic as in some touristy areas they just think they own the street and charge you up to R$ 30 (US$ 15) to park (that's illegal, but sometimes there are not law enforcement agents around).

So basically I don't think it's worth the effort, as:

a) traffic is crazy;

b) it's hard to find places to park around the city;

c) transportation is available (bikes, subway, buses + walkable districts);

d) the parking guys I mentioned don't work 24h a day...it depends on where you are and during the night you could leave your car, but in the morning the "charging time" starts again, so you'd have to worry about that.

Have a look at this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k429…

Cheers

Vatican City, Italy
2. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

I agree completely. Why do it yourself on a holiday? Traffic has been especially dire in Zona Sul since they started the construction of the metro extensions.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 4
3. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

Rio is a crazy place to drive, and I recommend to do it only if you are coming or going to/from the city. If you are driving around other parts of Rio state or Brazil, it's OK to drive into the city and park in a garage. I would not advise to drive around the city, say to Barra da Tijuca or Maracana stadium for example. It's just too crazy and forget about using GPS. ( Direta , nao, Escerda!)

If you are only visiting Rio, then save your money and use it on cab fare.

For day trips - consider hiring a cab driver for a flat fee if possible. The hotel may assist and recommend a good driver. You can also make your way up to Avenida Princesa Isabel in Copacabana early in the morning where all the rental car agencies are located. Rent a car for the day and return it in the evening before they close. We have used Localiza or Thrifty.

Mikey-And-Dani
4. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

Thank you for all of these details and quick responses.

I drive in NYC all of the time, so its not the crazy drivers I was concerned about.

I also rented a car in Rio on my last trip, but only for the day.

Based on this information though, it does seem like it would be worth it dealing with all of these parking / saftey issues. I think we will stick to cabs, bikes and public transportation.

Thanks again to everyone!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 1,003
5. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

I agree that it is not worthwhile to be by car in Rio.

But, nowadays, it is quite safe to overnight your car parked at the street in Copacabana.

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 9
6. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

>Is it possible and safe to park a car overnight on the streets in this area?

A. Yes, it is possible. there are tons of places to park at the beach sidewalk. And all of them are free at night. you don't even need to pay for at night. Safe? why are u thinking about this, if it is a rental car? They have insurance! Stay cool. If you do prefer to feel safe, there are paying places to park, very safe, for R$30/night.

>Are there local / affordable parking options in this area?

A. See comment above.

BR

São Paulo, Brazil
reviews: 8
7. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

Forget the car, use the bus.

There is a handy air conditioned bus (No. 2018) which connects all the beaches, the airports, and the bus station (close to the cruise port).

Other useful bus information (Barata Ribeiro St unless stated)

Copacabana to Ipanema (Gal Osório Hippie Fair), 125

Ipanema and Leblon, 464 or 154 (latter is Ipanema only)

Sugar Loaf 511 (N S Copacabana St)

Corcovado Train Station, Underground to Catete then 422

Bus Station by Underground: Underground to Lgo Machado then 133

Underground to town, Ipanema, Catete, Botafogo, Maracanã.

Underground and connecting train to Engenhão.

8. Re: Overnight street car parking - Copacabana Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 08, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro