We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Terrible Hostel

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
São Paulo, Brazil
reviews: 7
A Terrible Hostel

My advice for anyone travelling to Rio: do NOT stay at the Art Hostel. I know I have already done a write-up but it was in Portuguese and I would like to let foreign tourists know about my terrible experience. There was no soap in the room, no water in the shower and the doorknob was broken. Breakfast very poor, despite being hailed as having "plenty of fresh fruit", and the queue snaked its way through what I assume was the dining room. No security for bags - there was a store room but no individual cupboards, meaning that in theory any hostel guest could steal a bag or two. No cupboard in the bedroom and only one coathanger. No carpet. No lift - need to climb two flights of steep stairs to get to the "dining room".

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
1. Re: A Terrible Hostel

Your comments will no doubt prove helpful to those seeking a hostel in Rio, but since the Art Hostel gets consistently poor reviews on Trip Advisor, one wonders why you, a regular on TA, chose to stay there in the first place.

São Paulo, Brazil
reviews: 7
2. Re: A Terrible Hostel

Just to clarify.

I went to Rio for a translators' conference, got back this morning.

What happened was that the official event hotel was far too expensive so I asked my colleagues on a FB group for recommendations of alternative accommodation. Two hostels were recommended for me, the Art Hostel and another one which unfortunately didn't have room. This was how I ended up staying there.

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 9
3. Re: A Terrible Hostel

Rent an apartment next time.

thanks for warning us.

BR

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 884
4. Re: A Terrible Hostel

We really appreciate your report, Paul.

Despite being such a regular contributor by here we understand that this kind of trap can happen with everybody.

Thanks for warning us about that.

5. Re: A Terrible Hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 14, 2013