We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteer work in Rio

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
volunteer work in Rio

I am living in RJD for 6 months doing consulting work in publishing. I am interested in using my free time constructively and want to do some community development/social justice work. Any suggestions for how to find a place to volunteer my time? I am learning Portuguese now and have time both on weekends and weekdays. Any contacts or names of organizations would be greatly appreciated.

Rio
reviews: 1
1. Re: volunteer work in Rio

aad,

Good for you. The American Society of Rio, on whose board I sit, is a service/charity organization founded in 1917. If you contact the office and ask to be put in contact with the Community Relations liaison (Brenda) you can quickly become inculcated in re social programs you can work on and then some.

The American Society of Rio de Janeiro

Av. Rio Branco, 123/2105

20040-005 – Rio de Janeiro – RJ

Telephone: (21) 3852-5993

Fax: (21) 2509-1563

E-mail: americansociety@dh.com.br

www.americansociety-rio.org

I encourage you to become a member and attend our Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas party. I think you will find it rewarding and fun.

New York City, New...
2. Re: volunteer work in Rio

thank you darmanad for the quick response and great tip! i will definitely reach out to the Am Society.