We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pousada in Parati

Which Paraty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 21
Pousada in Parati

We want to finish our 3 week vacation in South America (Lima, Cuzco, Lake Titicaca, Buenos Aires, Iguazu, Rio) relaxing on a nice beach in Brazil for a few days before catching our return flight from Sao Paolo. Our travel agent suggested we stay in Parati (we will take private driver from Rio) at Pousada do Corsario. Can anyone advise whether Parati (have also heard of Florianapolis and Bahia beaches) is good place to end on beach and whether they know this Pousada. We basically want to be able to walk to nice quiet beaches and chill! Also great if there is a good choice of nice restaurants in the area.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Pousada in Parati

I can't talk about the pousada because I've never stayed there. Many pousadas in Paraty are located in restored colonial buildings and they are beautiful.

Paraty is a great place to stay. It doesn't have a good beach in town, but the surrounding area is famous all over Brazil for its good beaches. Paraty's fjord-like coast and islands are also great for sailing. While there, don't miss a beach called "Trindade", situated down the coast between Paraty (Rio de Janeiro State) and Ubatuba (Sao Paulo State). It's known as one of the best beaches in the region.

new york city
reviews: 5
2. Re: Pousada in Parati

marybel,

have you already gone on your vacation?

i am trying to decide between a trip to parati or to buzios (from rio).

i would love to hear your thoughts about the ride from rio, pousadas, etc.

ive been looking at the pousada do marquesa in parati. or casa brancas in buzios..

any help would be great.

THANKS>

EUA - USA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Pousada in Parati

I read great reviews about Bamboo Bambu in Paraty. However, I never made it there. I do recall them wanting the deposit from me (when I was going to make a reservation) via Western Union or something like that. This seemed a bit out of the norm. I think the owner told me that they didn't have a way to transact visa V/AE/MC w/o the card or something like that. Bamboo Bambu is a little further from the downtown area of Paraty than other pousadas if I recall.

I took a bus from Rio to Buzios and it was very inexpensive and really not too bad. The bus terminal in Rio was a bit intimidating. My traveling companion spoke perfect Portuguese so we had no problems at all. However, if you don't speak Portuguese (and are obviously not Brazilian) you may feel a bit out of place. (I was going to take a private car... but about 10x more expensive than the bus, which again, really wasn't too bad for us).

Miami, Florida
4. Re: Pousada in Parati

Dear lmf5,

Sorry for my neglect of not having looked at this forum for quite a while!

Yes I did go and loved it. I cannot compare with Buzios but basically Parati is this wonderful colonial town full of charm. There are lots of nice shops, restaurants and bars to choose from open till late. In the evening the town really gets this nice feeling taking you back in time.

To be fair, if its beaches you are looking for then this might not be the place as the beaches at walking distance are not very nice. So for that Buzios seems better. There are boats from Paraty going to nearby islands to some other beaches but we did not try these as we had a pool at our Pousada and took the car to Trindade beach. Wow, long beautiful beach with incredible rock formations and still quite unknown. The place has this hippy feeling about it. We also went by one day by car to a Cachaçaria for some cachaca tasting (used to make caipirinha) -super! Nearby there was this natural fall you could walk to and slide down this big stone into a pond. You could also do this with a tour or taking a cab.

I stayed in Paraty Pousada D’Ouro and can highly recommend this. They were super friendly, breakfast was included and its right in the center of town but in a quiet street. We stayed in a room in a building opposite the hotel and basically this is one of the colonial houses rebuild into a pousada. My first choice was Bamboo Bambu but due to its popularity already full. No regrets here as Paraty Pousada D’Ouro turned out to be excellent value for money. I do not know these other 2 pousadas mentioned.

We were a bit worried about driving from Rio to Paraty and onwards to Sao Paolo but all went fine considering we left Rio without a map and just slowly cruising along the coast to Paraty...so it probably took us longer but the scenic route was worth it.

There is also a bus going there and otherwise you could arrange for private transfer.

I guess, without having been to Buzios, if its beaches and bit more nightlife you want its Buzios. If it’s more old colonial charm then Paraty. I would definitely try Buzios next time if planning purely beach experience. Paraty turned out to be the highlight of Brazil for us.

If you already decided -what was it and how did it go?

Auckland, New...
5. Re: Pousada in Parati

Hi Marybel

I was just wondering if you have any pics of the Pousada you stayed in, and I was also wondering how you booked with them?

I just googled Pousada D’Ouro and it only came up with a few returns, none of which show how to book.

Do they speak English?

Thanks in advance

Miami, Florida
6. Re: Pousada in Parati

renaysNZ,

I called them directly and booked by phone (in Spanish/Portuguese) so not sure if they spoke English. I followed with a fax just to confirm as I was booking last minute in December just before leaving for a 3 weeks vacation to South America (after my ex-travel agent screwed up some of our bookings). They were very friendly and accomodating on the phone.

Our room, was actually an appartment (more like big room) in opposite building, was spacious, with lots of light and big bathroom. Nothing was new but more old colonial style (typical for Paraty). I do not know how the other rooms are so you might want to inquire about this. They had a nice small swimmingpool (was never too busy), loungechairs near the bar and breakfast was good. They also had a sauna and reading/sitting area that you could use. All these were in the mainbuiling where the reception was as well. I remember being right in the centre of Paraty but in a quiet sidestreet so we would leave the window open.

I'll see if I can find any pics and will post them but we had a great time there and I would stay there again.

Auckland, New...
7. Re: Pousada in Parati

Thank you!!!

Our Spanish / Portuguese is EXTREMELY limited at this stage, so ideally I think we would stay somewhere where they speak a bit of English.

Thanks again for your advice :)

Miami, Florida
8. Re: Pousada in Parati

Shame on me... did not make even one picture of the interior. Only have outside pics...am still a newby on TA...

I suggest you just give them a call and you will find soon enough whether they speak English. Good luck! In any case Paraty is great!

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 9
9. Re: Pousada in Parati

Marybel and friends: a lot of Paraty in english:

http://www.paraty.com.br/iindex.asp

one hotel in english and picures inside/outside (theres more hotels and pousadas links in the website above)

www.hoteldoforteparaty.com.br/ihforte.htm

Like already said... beaches in Paraty are not good, only if you go to one of many islands in the Bay. Its not too expensive.

Brazil Rio

Michigan
10. Re: Pousada in Parati

My wife spent our honeymoon in Buzios in 2006. We stayed at Casas Brancas. GREAT boutique style hotel with close proximity to town (5 min. walk). Excellent service, spa, and great views. Try to reserve a room with a private veranda if its in the budget. Fantastic town with plenty of great beaches (some within walking, most within 10-15 minute drive). We had a private driver take us from Rio to Buzios and we returned to Rio by shuttle bus. The 3 hour drive is not bad however the shuttle stops at various hotels along the way. We are going back to Parati in Jan. 2009, and considering Pousada do Ouro. They have an English website and they responded with a rate quote via email in English as well.