We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sao paolo to ilha grande - can it be done in one day?

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 5
Sao paolo to ilha grande - can it be done in one day?

Hello

I am wondering is it possible to get from sao paolo to ilha grande in one day. I have found a bus company that runs from sao paolo to angra dos reis leaving at 8am and takes 7 hours (reunidos paulista) so should arrive at 3pm. And I understand the ferry to ilha grande leaves angra dos reis at 3.30pm. This seems very close to me. Is it possible to make this whole trip in one day - will the sao paolo bus arrive in time to catch the ferry? Does the bus drop you at the ferry in angra dos reis or will I have to travel from the by station to the ferry.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Sao Paulo, SP
reviews: 3
1. Re: Sao paolo to ilha grande - can it be done in one day?

Yes, you can do this trip in one day. I don´t know about the ferry when you arrive at Angra, but they have regular boats all day long. The only problem: they cost way more than the ferry (approximately 25 reais). Despite of that, you can easily get from the continent to the islands - and the boats are quicker. About the bus, I never got there using it, but I´ll translate something I found at a website br.ilhagrande.com/sys/content/view/254/272/: "the boarding is done on the pier of Lapa (if you´re going to Vila do Abrãao), located in the city center, little away from the bus station. It is wise to arrive early, take a taxi or bus from the bus station to the center of Angra. The route between the station and the pier takes about 20 minutes." For the beaches located further souther of Ilha Grande (Araçatiba, Bananal, Provetá, Sítio Forte, Longa, among others), boarding is done in Tourism Pier (Cais de Turismo) and Fisherman's Wharf (Cais dos Pescadores), opposite the Convento do Carmo (Carmo´s Convent).

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
reviews: 17
2. Re: Sao paolo to ilha grande - can it be done in one day?

don´t count on the bus to be on time. very risky

Edited: 6:37 pm, October 29, 2013
3. Re: Sao paolo to ilha grande - can it be done in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 31, 2014