We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

poland
Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

Hi, I'm planning my trip to Brazil and can't decide. After landing at Galeao Airport (late afternoon) I want to go straight to Ilha Grande. I'm going to catch a bus from Novo Rio at 20 pm. As the bus trip takes 2,5h, I will probably have to spend one night at the coast.

And here comes my question: should I chose Mangaratiba

or Angra dos Reis for the nightover? Next day (Friday) I'd like to catch a boat/ferry to Ilha as soon as possible

Thanks!

1. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

Here's some transport info, including the boat options and schedules from Mangaratiba and Angra.

www.ilhagrande.org/Como-chegar-Ilha-Grande

Brisbane
reviews: 1
2. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

If you stay the night in Rio you can get a transfer to the island from Rio or Paraty with these guys:

greentoadbus.com/en/Brazil-bus-passes/Transf…

Edited: 11:27 am, December 09, 2011
poland
3. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

thanks for answers!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 1,003
4. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

I´d prefer to take a private transfer to Mangaratiba and try to take the last boat cruise from Mangaratiba to Abraao at 22:00h.

Consider that the traffic jam from the Int´l airport to Rio bus terminal may be huge by this time, that is why I advised you to "invest" in a private transfer.

Just a possibility.

poland
5. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

Thanks GUSALDI, I think I will "invest" in it!

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
reviews: 15
6. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

Who would be some private tranfer companies? and their costs?

Cheers!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
7. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

Try them (private bus from Rio to Paraty, but they can let you drop before, at Mangaratiba or Angra to take the ferry to the island):

www.greentoadbus.com

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
8. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

By the way, Paraty is another must in that southern RJ state coast (85 km souther from Angra).

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 6
9. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

Just careful, the 22:00 ferry from Mangartiba leaves only on Fridays and Saturdays.

I would take the bus to Angra. Angra has better hotels close to the port, Mangaratiba is very basic, although there are fantastic hotels within Mangaratibam BUT far away from the pier.

Best to stay overnight in Rio however ... my opinion ...

Hope I could help,

Juergen

www.SouthAmerica.travel

Edited: 4:30 pm, January 18, 2012
10. Re: Late January: Mangaratiba or Angra to Ilha Grande?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 19, 2013