We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Ilha Grande

East Grinstead...
reviews: 1
Leaving Ilha Grande

Hi,

Later this month I'm hoping to travel from Rio to Iguazu via Ilha Grande and Paraty. Ideally I will do this en route without having to backtrack. I recently watched a documentary on the Travel Channel in which the reporter did the trip that I essentially want to do. Frustratingly, few details were given.

Bascially, I'm aware of how to get from Rio to Ilha Grande (bus to Angra dos Reis and ferry across). However, from thereon the reporter simply took another ferry West to Paraty but I'm having trouble finding any information on this on the internet.

Has anyone done it themselves? Is it something that is only advertised there or is this not a service regularly offered? If possible, I'm hoping to avoid having to get the ferry back up to Angra dos Reis and get another bus down as it seems like an unnecessary detour.

Having visited Paraty, can I then get a bus all the way to Iguazu directly or do I need to head to Sao Paulo before getting a sleeper/overnight bus?

If anyone has bothered to read this far, thank you! Now for some suggestions if possible!!

Thanks.

Salvador, BA
11. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

I've never seen any ferry advertised either, BB, either there or on the internet, but the OP saw a travel program and the reporter could easily have had the kind of unlimited funds to hire a boat (as I surmised above), the kind of thing "regular" people don't usually have the capacity to do.

"occasionally to make my budget stretch a bit further." but this seems a false economy ofthe first order, IMO (and I am one who will indeed economize to spend that extra day in paradise).

Edited: 2:23 pm, January 10, 2011
Salvador, BA
12. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

It's no business opportunity if rough seas (common) keep you in port Seat62. That would be a run across more open seas than the scheduled ferries. The regular ferry itself, in more protected waters, is often prone to encounter rough seas, to the severe discomfort of passengers. (The catamaran from Morro do Sao Paulo, which is infamous for causing sea sickness, is another example of how often this occurs.)

Maragogi, AL
reviews: 142
13. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

Ah, a private boat is something else. It could be found, but my friend who is one of the authors of the guide to these waters between Santos and Rio wouldn't do it. It certainly won't save you time or money. It is a long and at times rocky journey to go between Abraã and Paraty. I've done it several times.

Salvador, BA
14. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

BB, just out of curiosity, what's the name (and ISBN #) of his guide book?

Maragogi, AL
reviews: 142
15. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

Hi my friend Tcant!

From what I understand, the guide book for the Bahia de Todos os Santos in Bahia was published some years ago. I will get that info for you. But, as of this past August, they were waiting for the date to publish the book on Santos to Rio. I have seen copies and even an old draft in PDF that was lost when I changed computers. But, I will check with him and send an up-date. It includes charts, descriptions, tourist information and BEAUTIFUL pictures. His partner in Latitude Charters and the principle author is Helio Magalhães, one of Brazil's premier ocean sailors and a very accomplished photographer.

Salvador, BA
16. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

Sounds wonderful !

(There are plans afoot, or aweigh :-), to buy a small boat for the bay.)

17. Re: Leaving Ilha Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, July 10, 2011