We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

Which Buzios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading. My wife and I are going to Rio for Carnival 2014. I'm trying to get a sense of what Buzios is like during Carnival compared to Rio. Are all the parties in bars/clubs or on the streets as well? I've been to Rio for Carnival a few years ago, so I guess what I am trying to find out is what the vibe is in Buzios during this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

7 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
1. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

2014 Carnival in Buzios: “An upheaval of social values during the Carnival in Buzios is what you ought to expect with parties in almost every street corner. Buzios has a great gay friendly reputation, where the city turns almost completely gay during the Carnival”

http://bit.ly/1dQ4Nha

reviews: 1
2. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

I have a markedly different opinion of Buzios during Carnaval than that expressed by Monte. I am not going to try and dispute his statements because I do not know what his experience has been, During the nearly five years that I have lived here in Buzios, I have found that Carnaval is not the high powered event that you will find in Rio. Nor is it even the intensity of Cabo Frio or Macae. Buzios remains a summer beach town and the folks who come here are looking more for the "beach and party" rather than the "party and beach as secondary." Certainly at night the central section is in high gear, but then it is in high gear from Christmas through Easter. You will find many clubs and bars are extremely active, but then so too is the street scene. Many families come to Buzios for Carnaval for a more laid back and relaxed Carnaval. I have not noticed any real change in the proportion of straights versus gays during Carnaval. There are a lot of all sorts of folks and everyone seems to get along quite well.

Sao Paulo, SP
3. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

i agree with #2.

i am really puzzled by the description in the article linked above. it does not look like it was written by someone familiar with Búzios.

if you can read Spanish, you can check the very active Búzios forum in the Spanish-language version of Trip Advisor, which is largely populated by Argentines (the #1 foreign tourists in Brazil). Búzios is a VERY popular destination for Argentine middle class families, singles (and probably some gays too) thruout the summer, including Carnaval.

tripadvisor.com.ar/ShowForum-g303492-i6547-B…

a lot of Rio residents "escape" to Búzios during Carnaval, so it will be bursting at the seams. and, some of them will be gay, of course.

be ready for massive traffic jams to reach Búzios from Rio in these long holiday weekends. better plan ahead to avoid the peak travel days.

fyi, the hot spots for gay crowd during Carnaval (and New Year's Eve) are Florianópolis and Rio de Janeiro itself.

Búzios does not even show up on the radar as a gay destination (which is very different from saying that it is a gay-friendly destination).

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 18
4. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

It’s certainly possible to take Bookers’ copywriter too literally.

Perhaps what’s really being said is that even the straightest of straights also get a little campy during Carnaval.

Surely no cause for alarm.

Buenos Aires
reviews: 123
5. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

Hello!!

buziosturismo.com/buzios/eng/vida_noturna.php

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 68
6. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

The Carnival of Búzios is completely different from Rio. Búzios has only a few street bands and it looks like more with an ordinary holiday. However, the night life is intense too.

And it is not true the report that it is an "almost completely gay" place during carnival. I spend 2 carnivals there and it is normal.

Sandpoint, Idaho
reviews: 19
7. Re: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)

Much nicer than the Rio experience, IMHO..........

Reply to: What' it like Buzios during Carnival? (2014)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buzios