We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Which Brasilia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
reviews: 124
Help with itinerary

Hi,

I am trying to plan itinerary - flight from Canada

landing in San Paulo stay 1 night only to get flight to

Iguassu Falls(stay 2 nights- to see both sides

next 2 stops 2 nights each Paraty and Ilha Grande

6 days in Rio for the Carnaval

Fly home

How do we get to Paraty? Is the best way to fly to Rio and then bus to Paraty?

Can you bus from Paraty to Angra dos Reis and ferry to Ilha Grande ?

Can one manage to do this on own without knowing Portugese?

Is it difficult to buy bus tickets etc without knowing the language.

Can tours and boats arranged in Iguassa in English?

I can't even read the websites www.voegol.com to get info about flights to Iguassu organize this leg . Is there not an English version?

Or should I opt for organized tour with no flexibility?

I appreciate any help?

Hamburg, Germany
1. Re: Help with itinerary

The plan looks good to me. The most difficult part is finding a place to stay in Rio during Carnaval. Hotels often sell packages for a whole week. You might be too late for 2011 though. For Paraty you might also have too book a package, don't know about Ilha Grande. It's peak season around there just before Carnaval. Might be better to go there first and to Iguacu directly before Carnaval.

Now for your questions:

How do we get to Paraty? Is the best way to fly to Rio and then bus to Paraty?

- You can also fly to Sao Paulo and take a bus to Paraty. Both options take a day of travelling.

Can you bus from Paraty to Angra dos Reis and ferry to Ilha Grande ?

- Yes

Can one manage to do this on own without knowing Portugese?

- Knowing the language will make it easier but will be able to get help from other travellers and the places you will be staying at. Knowing numbers and times should be really enough. Also a good idea to take pen&paper with you.

Is it difficult to buy bus tickets etc without knowing the language.

- The pen&paper thing, knowing a couple of phrases and being freindly goes a long way.

Can tours and boats arranged in Iguassa in English?

- Yes. Ask your hotel for transfer. The tour I took (Argentina) was in english.

I can't even read the websites www.voegol.com to get info about flights to Iguassu organize this leg . Is there not an English version?

You can change the language on Gol website in the top right corner. Select other countries for english. Also try www.tam.com.br . Tam might costs a little more but they have more frequent flights at better times. For English click on alterer pais on the top and select your country.

Or should I opt for organized tour with no flexibility?

I appreciate any help?

Salvador, BA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Help with itinerary

If you are suffering problems deciphering the basics of the GOL site, I'd advise staying home. How difficult is "origem" or "destino" to understand? They look just like the English words "origin" and "destination". Think logically. At minimum, bring a good phrasebook with you if you insist on travelling despite these simple tasks appearing too confusing. Not sure how you have managed to travel the world, as it appears from postings that you have, with this helpless attitude. Brazil should be no different.

Paraty/Angra bus info:

www.paraty.tur.br/turismo/comochegar.php

Edited: 10:01 am, January 17, 2011
Alberta, Canada
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks efp53 I will try looking on the site.

Tcantarelli, you have given me great info before on using the metro .

I do admit I have presented a bit of a hopeless attitude. I don't feel I have the time for the research needed that I usually do before asking questions. I do feel this trip harder to organize for some reason.

I understand the origem and destino, but don't understand the choices. I can't even find San Paulo or Iguassu Falls in the choices.

I need this flight info before before I can continue with plans.

Alberta
reviews: 17
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Wow, tcantarelli that’s way harsh. Helpless attitude? Dude, this a forum. Travelers are here to help and advise other travelers… not act like douche bags to them. How difficult is that for YOU to understand? Sometimes foreign sites can be difficult to interpret, period. Regardless of how well-travelled one is… the GOL site actually is pretty confusing, even in the English mode. Does asking for a little assistance make one helpless? Heck no! Traveling around the world would be near impossible if nobody ever asked for help. If you want to mock VenusAlberta for trying to get on the right page with this, maybe you should be the one to stay home… from Trip Advisor that is.

Alberta, Canada
5. Re: Help with itinerary

thanks efp53

I finally got the GOL website figured.

My new question is

Can you make connections in one day to get from Iguassu to Paraty? There are not a lot of flights leaving Iguasu going to Rio- best one 16:00, and then connecting getting bus to Paraty in same day. Buses operate regularly until 21:00 .

I read that the bus to Angra dos Reis from Rio takes 3- 3 1/2 hrs and with a taxi connection from airport to Novo Rio ; making that leg at least 5 hrs.

Is there another connection at Angra to Paraty or does the bus from Rio go all the way to Paraty? If so how long is this trip?

I need to know if I can make that journey in 1 day?

Thanks

Salvador, BA
6. Re: Help with itinerary

@cbalberta--

So glad something inspired you enough to sign up to the forum just to say what you did. Useful contribution to the OP's questions and dillema. Please do help us out with more of your excellent information on conditions and destinations in Brazil.

Not being able to function in Portuguese makes any trip to Brazil much harder. Fact of life. Not being able to negotiate a website in Portuguese simply doesn't bode well for a comfortable trip.

@venusalberta33--

If you look at a map of Brazil, you might notice that flying back to Rio just to get to Paraty is really doubling back. Coming from Iguacu, fly into Sao Paulo and take the bus from there. I would not suggest doing this in the same day

Here are the bus schedules. I hope you can decipher them.

www.paraty.tur.br/turismo/comochegar.php.

Alberta, Canada
7. Re: Help with itinerary

I did check the map prior to your comment and thought that would be a saving option, however buses out of SP are few-only 4 a day and the duration is 6 hrs from SP to Paraty for some reason compared to Rio to Paraty at 4hs. This according to LP.

I thought the connection would be better via Rio BUT having same old problem ; trouble reading the Portuguese on the Costa Verde site.Can not find the English.

Salvador, BA
8. Re: Help with itinerary

There is no English. There will be no English in Brazil (outside of maaaaaybe a couple of people in Rio who work in tourism). As I said, if this flusters you, maybe you need to rethink. Pay a travel professional to plan the trip. Hire a full time guide while there. An obvious gringo floundering around on the street, as you are here on an internet site, would have "victim" written across his/her forehead (IMO).

Salvador, BA
9. Re: Help with itinerary

And just fyi, you seem to be lost on TA also, since you have posted your questions about other areas on the forum for the capitol city of Brasilia (not to be confused with the name of the country), which does not even appear to be on your itinerary.

10. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:31 am, January 21, 2012