We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Which Salvador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Hi,

I am going to the Spain Holland game on the 13th June and will be flying in from Rio.

Do you think 3.5hours is enough from landing to get to the game?

I've been to world cup games before and I would say I need at least 45mins from arriving at the ground to being seated (checkpoints, crowd, stuffing around and finding seats). I have no idea how traffic is going to play out, and I would say google's estimate of 30mins drive from the airport is very generous.

Campinas, SP
1. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

It is very generous, indeed. The main avenue leading to the airport often has heavy traffic. I used to live relatively close to the stadium, and I've wasted from 30 min to 2 hours to get to the airport in different days. 3.5 hours should be enough, with a slight chance you get a little late.

Edited: 12:12 pm, January 15, 2014
ireland
reviews: 16
2. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Another question. I'm going to the L16 game on the 1st of July at 17.00. I have a flight later that night at 21.45. Will it be a problem to make it I wonder?

London
3. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Finbarrk, by any chance are you taking the Air Europa flight that night to Madrid? I only ask because I'm in the same situation four days later after the QF (Air Europa annoyingly just rescheduled my flight from 22:15 to 21:45, shaving off a crucial half hour). I'm concerned about reaching the flight, especially if the match goes into extra time/penalties, as it'd be 8pm by the time that concluded and then I'd still have to get to the airport and check in to an international flight. I was planning on leaving the stadium at 19:30 latest, one way or the other. Never been to Salvador before so have no idea really but am quite worried about Lucas' comments that even 3.5 hours might not be enough.

ireland
4. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Yeah, I'm on that one to Madrid. It looks a bit tight now. Maybe leave before the end of the match I suppose, get out before the crowd and get a taxi quickly. I'll also have to have my luggage sorted out, whatever I'll do about that.

Campinas, SP
5. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

finbarrk, your schedule is really tight. I usually consider 2 hours before to be the safe point to leave to the airport, considering one hour to get there plus one hour to check in, however your case has lots of variables.

You have to consider how hard it will be to leave the stadium (which is on a heavy traffic spot to begin with). The time of the day surely doesn't help, and to complicate matters even further, July 2nd is a state holiday in Bahia, which usually worsens traffic on the days around. However, July 2nd is a Wednesday, middle of the week, so I'm not sure people will be leaving town, which means the situation will be similar to a regular work day.

Also, you have an international flight, which means you'll need even more leeway.

Edited: 6:47 am, January 16, 2014
London
6. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Lucas, what do you think about leaving on the Saturday night for the airport in the same situation? Any better/worse for traffic on the weekend? I'd probably leave early from the match but was hoping that getting out in regular time (assuming match ends at 7pm, get out by 7:30, have an hour and a bit to get to the airport) would be OK. I'll even hire a driver for the night to wait for me outside the stadium or in the general area if I have to. My plan was to leave the luggage at airport storage, but I may even see if it's possible to get really early check-in that afternoon.

Campinas, SP
7. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

Traffic is much better on Saturdays, but you're still going to be depending on your luck. If anything goes wrong, it won't be of much help. My main concern here is not even the traffic, but the lenghty processes of getting off the stadium and on an international flight. But yeah, on a Saturday the chance of traffic being your undoing is significantly lower.

ireland
8. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

But surely the traffic shouldn't be too bad after 7pm? Would it be easy to organise a taxi to be waiting at a pre determined spot for immediately after the game? Or maybe 10 mins from the finish of it.

9. Re: How long should I allow to get to WC game from the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 18, 2015