We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

Which Salvador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 10
Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

Hello!

So we have finally booked our flights to Brazil and will be staying 5 nights from 7th March - 12th March. We will arrive Friday night approx 10:15pm.

We were planning to book Open House Barra but I have been looking at Air BnB and have come across a number of apartments which are in the Barra area and much cheaper (saving of approx £50 / USD$75 each).

We are 4 females aged 27/28, we do not speak Portuguese and this is our first time in Brazil.

Is it safe for us to stay in a private apartment like this or is it better to pay more and stick to OHB? The apartments are located Av. Sete de Setembro, Salvador, Bahia 40140-110, Brazil. We originally chose OHB as it seemed very friendly, safe and like we would meet more people and people were available to give us advice etc.

Please let me know, I appreciate any local advice!

Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 15
1. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

Hi there,

My husband and I visited Salvador for 4 days last year and we, too, rented an apartment on AV. Sete de Setembro (at this building: Avenida Sete de Setembro nº 4183, Edificio Praia Ville, to be exact). For reference, that building is located between the 'Farol' (lighthouse) at one end and the Porto da Barra beach, in the other direction.

If i'm not mistaken, Av Sete de Setembro runs along the seafront and beaches for quite a distance. You'll see lots of joggers running along the stretch of it at any time of day. This section seemed safe and lively to me, at least in the short experience I had with it. Our building, and I think most in that area that also rent to tourists, had a security guard booth and gates at the street entrance. Very safe. A few good restaurants just a few blocks away (I don't remember the names unfortunately, but there's lots to choose from). You can also catch a bus that goes to Pelourinho --- it is marked something like 'Praca de Se' but I'm pretty sure that's not the exact spelling so I apologize for that. Barra and Pelourinho are only about 20 minutes apart by car.

I can't provide any feedback on OHB, of course, but I just wanted to provide my apartment experience, as I think it is a perfectly safe and good choice in this location. Hope my info helps!

Callaway, Minnesota
reviews: 89
2. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

I would choose an apartment in a heartbeat. Much more freedom and not to worry about schedules and really lots of options available as to where to pick and stay. And I feel such a choice is totally safe and secure.

When Salvador was on my radar, Alain Zamrini had a great selection of apartments and he was wonderful to work with.

With just five days, your time might be limited, but I would look at the island of Biopeba as an option for a day trip for a couple of days. But realistically, this would be too much of a stretch to do this side trip. If you had 10 days, yes, but with only five, best to hang out in Salvador.

Enjoy your trip, Salvador is a wonderful place and the weather will be fantastic.

Jim in Minnesota

Salvador, BA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

If you are a group of 4 it might indeed be more interesting to go for an appartment.

Here is another suggestion - www.SunSeaRent.com - where a Dutch owner Annemarie takes care of receiving foreign travelers in their language. There are appartments available for different budgets in some interesting locations in Salvador.

Tropical greetings from Salvador

Ivan Bahia Guide

London
reviews: 10
4. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

Thank you everyone for your great responses! We are still deciding but I'm sure either way we will have a great time in Salvador!

@Tatsy - I think the location of the apartment is right near where you stayed :) by the lighthouse!

@Maple - thanks so much for your input & recommendations we'll look into these

@Ivan - thanks Ivan! I think we are going to stick with the apartment we have found already or OHB, we've already done some intensive searching. May be in touch closer to the time for trips etc!

Thanks again all.

5. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:04 am, October 17, 2013
Salvador, BA
6. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

My pleasure Metta

Always available for specific info about this North Eastern part of Brazil

Greetz from Salvador da Bahia

Ivan Bahia Guide

7. Re: Pousada/hotel vs. private apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 20, 2014