We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvador to Cachoeira

Which Salvador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Falls, VA
reviews: 6
Salvador to Cachoeira

Is there a decent bus from Salvador to Cachoeira and if so how often do they run and about how long would the trip take? Would it be possible to visit as day trip or more practical to stay overnight? Obrigado

Salvador, BA
reviews: 43
1. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

Hi Daniel, It is roughly 2 hours by bus, and buses leave every hour from Salvador to Sao Felix..

First one leaves at 05:00 and last one at 18:00

R$11,50 and Santana Bus Company

You can do it all in a day, but I would reccomend staying the night and visiting local farms and relaxing there at night is lovely!

Salvador, BA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

Yes, buses in Brazil tend to be quite comfortable, some even nicer than tourist class planes, with coffee and water service.

Salvador to Cachoeira is about 2 hours. Day trip or overnight is up to you and depends on what you intend to see. Other than for a festa (Boa Morte, for example, in August) or celebration of some sort (like the all-night Sao Joao forro festival at the end of June), it's a sleepy, crumbling old Colonial river port with (IMO) not much to do except look at the architecture, walk through the local market (I happen to like buying music DVDs there and clothes, but we are closeby a lot.), and maybe visit the cigar factory across the river, and not much set up for tourists, but a great look at local life in the Interior/Reconcavo. If you can get connections, you might want to consider passing through Santo Amaro too, the home of famous MPB singer Caetano Veloso, on the way or on the way back. The Saturday outdoor food market there might be pretty amazing for a foreign tourist.

Salvador, BA
3. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

Bus company is Santana. Buses leave from the rodoviaria (bus station) across the street from Shopping Iguatemi. You can get the bus to the Shopping from Barra (takes about an hour in traffic) and there is a passarela (pedestrian overpass) over the highway, or take a taxi. I think hourly departures start about 5 am and go until about 6 pm. Your accomodation front desk person in Salvador can call to check for you, and order the ticket delivered for a small extra charge of about R$3.

Salvador, BA
4. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

oops, sorry SSAGIGI, you must have been posting as I was writing. Thanks for your valuable info, as always.

Emerald City
5. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

If you do choose to stay overnight, which is a good idea, avoid the Convento. It's musty and overpriced. There are better options in terms of value for money including a decent pousada in São Félix facing the river, a block or two up from the Danneman factory. Don't miss a visit to the factory or to the Hansen Bahia gallery in Cachoeira. His house and studio are just above São Félix and you can arrange visits. Lovely spot Cachoeira.

Great Falls, VA
6. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

Obrigado a todos pelas respostas rapidas.

But now I'm thinking about renting a car in Salvador to make the trip to Cachoeira.

Anybody know if its possible to pick up a rental somewhere near the Centro Historico and drop it off at SSA without paying big extra drop-off fees?

Salvador, BA
7. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

You can. BUT.....Honey, I live here and I still cannot find my way out of town through Sete Portas without a local in the passenger seat.

Take the bus.

Great Falls, VA
8. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

What about picking up and dropping off at the airport? Ainda uma locura?

Emerald City
9. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

Going from the airport doesn't really offer any advantages. You will need to cut across town via Simões Filho. Presumably you have driven in Brazil before and speak Portuguese.

By the time you have gone to the airport, picked up the car and navigated across town you will have lost any saving in time and likely incurred a considerable expense. The buses run regularly and it's a short trip. There are quite a few car rentals across town but unless you need one to go somewhere that isn't serviced by bus, you are better off taking the bus.

Edited: 5:37 pm, April 03, 2011
Great Falls, VA
10. Re: Salvador to Cachoeira

OK...you've sold me on *not* renting a car.

Last question on the bus to Cachoeira: is it the long-distance kind where you can load your luggage underneath & has A/C, or the local kind with a turnstile inside?