We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

Which Ashburn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 24
What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

Hi there

Just realised that I will be able to spend a long weekend during the memorial day holiday at Ashburn, Virginia prior to my business meetings.

I have been to DC (do the Lincoln memorial, museums visit, mall visit) when I was here last year and would like to do something different.

As I will be alone, and besides doing the standard shopping at Leesburg outlet on Sunday, what else can I do on Monday? I saw there are wine-tours - does Virginia has good winetours? Can someone recommend me a good tour to join?

Besides winetour, where else can I visit while I'm here?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

First, it will be hard to do anything from Ashburn without a rental car. The public transport out there is poor, and will be worse on a holiday weekend. Good news is you are near IAD, where rental cars are plentiful.

Once you have a car, you have a whole region of choices. Do you like nature? History? Shopping? Dining? Within a two hour drive of Ashburn you have dozens of choices.

Singapore
reviews: 24
2. Re: What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

Hi warthog

I would prefer places with scenery. Although I have a rental car, if there is any wine country tour, I would prefer to join a tour so I don't drink and drive

:)

reviews: 2
3. Re: What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

A wine tour is an excellent idea and avoiding DUI is an even better one.

Unfortunately I don't have a specific operator to recommend in that area but if you Google Virginia wine tours you'll find a wealth of info. You might also email the hotel where you'll be staying to see if they have any specific recommendations.

Edit to add: Yes, Virginia now has some excellent wines and is becoming a world renowned wine region.

Edited: 10:48 am, May 14, 2012
Sterling, Virginia
4. Re: What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

a walk around the Town of Leesburg is always fun. Quaint shops, interesting historical sites, restaurants. Head up 15 North and you'll be able to stop along the way, many vineyards, some antiquing, lovely spring drive.

Living Social has this deal this weekend:

Quit scrambling for Memorial Day weekend plans, and go whole-hog with this offer from The Farmer's Table at Loudoun Valley Vineyards: For $25 ($50 value), you'll get two tickets to the Swine and Wine Fest, held from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, May 26. In this scenic setting, you'll dance the day away to live music and socialize with friends and fellow attendees. Then, nosh on a pulled-pork barbecue lunch courtesy of The Farmer's Table at Loudoun Valley Vineyards while taking in unbelievable views of the Blue Ridge and Catoctin Mountains.

Enjoy your time in Loudoun Co. aka LoCo

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 139
5. Re: What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?

Since you mentioned you like nice scenery, consider Great Falls National Park, less than 30 minute drive from Ashburn. Check out reviews and photos (incl mine) here...........

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60726-d28…

Enjoy

Reply to: What to do during Memorial Day long weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ashburn