We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 13
Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids

Hi All,

I am attending my National Conference and staying at the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel this coming weekend.

I am getting there the day before and bringing my kids aged 10 and 5. We have never been so I have one day to see attractions like the White House etc. We live in Manhattan and we have plenty of the hop on and hop off buses which are a great way to get around. I am sure they are available in DC. I really only have this Friday to go sightseeing with them so i figured we could cover a lot of ground rather than trying to navigate them on our own?

My husband flies in Late that night and he will take them to other attractions over the weekend.

Any suggestions or advice would be great as its a great experience for all of us. Also where do you normally get on this buses? Just trying to have it all worked out so we don't waste a minute as time is so limited.

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 90
1. Re: Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids

The distances between the sights in D.C. are not all that great, so I normally don't recommend the HO/HO buses as they are a pricey way to get around. The distance from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial is about 2 miles and it's about another mile around the Tidal Basin to see the MLK, Jr. Memorial, the FDR Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial.

One problem with the HO/HO buses is that you often have to wait awhile between buses. (In the summer the buses are crowded with visitors and full buses will not pick up new passengers. In the off-season, like next weekend, there may not be many buses running, so you'd have to wait awhile due to a lack of buses.) If you decide to do a HO/HO bus tour, then I would highly recommend that you stay on the bus for all the loops to see the sights and hear the commentary first before you decide to get off anywhere.

Old Town Trolleys seems to be a popular choice here on TA for HO/HO buses as they offer live, not pre-recorded commentary. They pick up at many stops and you can buy your tickets and start your tour from any of those stops. FWIW: The Old Town Trolleys website claims that their buses run at least every 30 minutes.

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/

New York City, New...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids

Thanks you for that. That seems like a great idea.

Virginia
reviews: 37
3. Re: Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids

There's also DC Ducks.

Younger kids get a real kick out of the odd shaped vehicles, and they get good ratings.

dcducks.com

Virginia
reviews: 37
4. Re: Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids

I think Gray Line has one they call the BIg Bus? It boards at Union Station I think. 3 or 4 different routes, various attractions.

Reply to: Recomendations for a hop on and hop off bus?? With kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted