We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
reviews: 1
looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

We are traveling to dc August 4-9 2013...saw a good rate for this hotel but reviews are confusing as to location? we will be traveling with 2 children and grandparents...planning on seeing museums..Smithsonian, monuments, etc typical stuff...zoo? Arlington cemetery...is this hotel a good choice?

north carolina
1. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

Now have found Hyatt Regency Crystal City, Marriott Wardman Park, Key Bridge Marriott? I'm so confused?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
2. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

The description of that Sheraton (formerly the Sheraton National) as being in Pentagon City is grossly misleading. It is separated from Pentagon City by a 16 lane interstate highway, a light industrial area, and a good sized hill. I am not certain if it is even possible to walk from the hotel to Metro without spending at least part of the walk on a road without a sidewalk. Based solely on geography I would not recommend it as a base to go see the typical sights.

Of the other three you've listed, all would be better choices. If prices are equal, I would probably strike the Hyatt Regency as it is comparatively far from Metro (I think about a 10 minute walk), and focus on the other two. The Key Bridge Marriott is an older hotel (see a current discussion about it on the DC forum), but it is walking distance from both Rosslyn Metro and Georgetown. The Marriott Wardman Park is in D.C., but in a quieter, more residential part of Northwest Washington that is a bit removed from some of the hustle and bustle of the city. That said, it is close to a Metro stop and walking distance to the zoo. As between the two Marriotts, I'd go with the one that offers the better price and/or the amenities you most want in a hotel.

north carolina
3. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

the Sheraton has a shuttle to Pentagon city metro...Parking is much cheaper there...makes a big difference when you are staying 5 days. Key bridge parking is not as bad as some..$19 a day. We will only be using hotel to sleep...staying in town using metro during the day...knowing this would youstill nix the Sheraton?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
4. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

Yes, I would still nix the Sheraton. D.C. gets obscenely hot in August, and we also get thunder storms. After you've been walking around all day and are hot and tired and maybe wet, do you want to be able to come up out of the Metro and walk straight to your room, or do you want to come up out of the Metro and wait for a shuttle bus? It will also make stopping back at your room for something during the day that much harder. Also, how late does their shuttle run (I have no idea, personally)? At least one night you'll want to go see some or all of the monuments after it gets dark. How do you get back to your hotel after that?

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
5. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

I'm familiar with the Sheraton "Pentagon City" hotel. While it's a perfectly fine hotel, the location, as Warthog has described, is not anywhere near Pentagon City or any other Metro station. With kids and grandparents, I'd recommend staying closer to Metro as well.

I don't know your budget, but you might want to consider the Best Western Iwo Jima in Rosslyn. (I actually stayed here for a couple nights last summer when the "derecho" caused a multi-day power outage at our house and was quite pleased with the hotel.) Anyway, it does offer free parking and also has an indoor pool that the kids should enjoy. It's within walking distance of the Rosslyn Metro station (about 10 minutes or less) and has rooms with 2 queen beds for the days you mentioned for $140 or less. They do not offer a free breakfast, but there is an adjacent restaurant or you could use the in-room refrigerator and microwave to make your own breakfast.

north carolina
6. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

I sooo see your point! Which hotels would you recommend?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
7. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

Any of the three alternatives you listed first would be fine. Probably the Key Bridge Marriott beats out Wardman Park as it's a bit more central. If you are looking for still other choices, a quick search on hotels.com shows the Le Meridien in Rosslyn for $140 (A very nice hotel close to Metro), Holiday Inn White House for $134 and Grand Hyatt Washington D.C. for $139 (I'd expect parking to be pricey at these two, but locations are great). In D.C. where to stay varies by the day, because hotel rates fluctuate so wildly. The Le Meridien, for example, I've booked for $89 a night on a special, or at other times it could be $299. That's why any hotel recommendation for DC is going to be date of stay specific. I'd also suggest you book refundable, and then look for even better non-refundable last minute deals in the week or so before you arrive.

8. Re: looking at sheraton pentagon city hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 13, 2014