We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time should I set aside?

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
reviews: 19
How much time should I set aside?

My husband and I are coming to DC next weekend (Memorial Day). Unfortunately, we have a very short amount of time - and as most tourists, I am trying to pack in as much as possible while at the same time, remaining realistic.

On Saturday, we have a scheduled segway tour at 11am to tour the monuments and sights of DC. I noticed Arlington National Cemetery opens at 8am and am wondering if we would have enough time to take a foot tour prior to the Segway tour? The main areas we want to see are: Tomb of the Unknown changing of the guard; JFK grave; Battle of the Bulge Memorial; Pan Am Flight 103 Memorial; Space Shuttles memorials; and have a little time for the gift shop.

Our plan is to take a taxi from our hotel (JW Marriott) and return via taxi. We aren't interested in the Metro and feel a taxi can be on our schedule and drop us closer.

I realize the Cemetery is very large, but we are in decent shape (no mobility issues but not athletes either) and can do quite a bit of walking at a leisurely pace. So I am wondering if we arrive at 8am when the gates open, if 2 - 2.5 hours would be long enough to see what we want and allow us time to get back, drop our things and meet the Segway tour group by 11am?

Also, I was considering taking a backpack since we are advised to carry bottled water with us (to the cemetery and on our segway tour of the city) and it would be a handy place to keep small purchases until we can get back to hotel. Can anyone advise if this is ok? I wasn't sure if bags would be allowed or not. I haven't read much about it. Thank you so much!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 60
1. Re: How much time should I set aside?

This should be good use of your time. You might not see everything on your list but you will see plenty in a couple hours.

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 249
2. Re: How much time should I set aside?

I have a couple of relatives buried at ANC so I go twice a year. The cemetery is very hilly and the Tomb of the Unknowns in at the top of the hill. Kennedy’s grave in about half way up the hill. Two hours may be enough time to see these two sites and maybe a couple others on your list. On a holiday weekend, DC is very crowed!! Keep that in mind as everyone will want to see the changing of the guard ceremony. Going early will help with the crowds.

3. Re: How much time should I set aside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 22, 2014