We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 4
Weather

We arrive into Washington on the 22nd June, and coming from the UK our weather is very unpredictable, and should we pack for warm weather or rain? We are staying in the Holiday Inn Rosslyn and is easy to get around walking or by tube? Plus where can we board an open top sighting seeing bus?

Many thanks in advance.

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Weather

You should have warm to hot temperatures. Could have some rain / thunderstorms so some rain gear would be good to have on hand just in case. A cheap poncho would do fine. Typically the weather is very nice this time of year in DC.

UK
2. Re: Weather

Thanks for that, a rain mac will be packed just encase. I presume its just t shirt and shorts while sight seeing.

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Weather

Yes very casual. Comfortable walking shoes. Don’t forget the sun lotion and sunglasses. METRO rail is the best way to get around in DC. Rosslyn has a METRO rail station.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 91
4. Re: Weather

Your hotel is less than half-a-kilometer from the Rosslyn Metro Station. So, it's very easy to get to D.C. by Metro and to get around D.C. itself by foot and Metro. (I doubt you would use the Metrobus much unless you are going someplace like the Washington Cathedral which is not near a Metro station and is too far to walk from the Mall area.)

I would think twice about using the open top sightseeing bus UNLESS your plan is to ride the entire loop(s) without getting off. If you use any of these HO/HO buses as a means of transportation, once you get off you will likely have a very long wait for another bus with available seating. That's an expensive waste of time. Also, I believe that the open top sightseeing buses only provide pre-recorded commentary and I'm not sure how well you could even hear it on top of the bus with all the city noise.

The websites for the various HO/HO buses should provide a map of their stops showing where you can board.

UK
5. Re: Weather

Again thanks for the information, I take it all onboard and are so looking forward to our trip. So much to see in such a short time space.

Normally we head to the sunshine beaches of the mediterranean, but this year we some culture. Is there any bad areas in Washington we need to avoid?

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 91
6. Re: Weather

Any "sketchy" areas in D.C. are devoid of tourist attractions so it's unlikely you would find yourself there.

Washington DC...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Weather

Anacostia!!! stay far far away....

but if you are during museums and such you will not be near that part of town anyways.

Enjoy the city while you are here.. There is so much to do and see.

UK
8. Re: Weather

Thank you all for your assistance and help, we sure are looking forward to our trip and will follow your recommendations.

9. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2014