We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maybe stop along the way

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 2
maybe stop along the way

We are going from Pittsburgh to Ocean City Md in June and I'm trying to find some information to help me decide whether or not to stop at Arlington Cemetery. We are a laid back family of 5 so 1st of all is this a stressful way to begin a vacation! I've heard crazy stories about the beltway. In general can we park at the cemetery and just walk through in a few hours or should this be a separate trip? How busy the last week of June? Is there anything else close by that we should also see? Thank You!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 29
1. Re: maybe stop along the way

There is large pay parking garage at Arlington Cemetery, that you can reach relatively easily from the north -- come down I-270 to I-495 towards Tyson's Corner, and then head east on the George Washington Parkway. A bit less than a mile past the exit for Route 50 is an exit, on the right, for Arlington Cemetery and the Memorial Bridge. Once you are on the exit ramp (which does a sharp U off to the right), bear to the left when you get to the yield sign. Make a left when you get to the first stop sign, and you'll see the garage ahead on your left. Details on parking rates are here: arlingtoncemetery.mil/VisitorInformation/Par…

A few hours should let you see the key spots within the cemetery (Kennedy tomb, tomb of the unknown soldier, Arlington House, etc.), particularly if you pay for the hop-on-hop-off tour within the cemetery. Details here: arlingtoncemetery.mil/VisitorInformation/Gro…

The last week of June will be a bit busy, as the summer is prime tourist season, but there is nothing I am aware of that week that would make it particularly busy. In terms of other things to see, if you are all fit then you can walk across the river from the parking garage to the Lincoln Memorial. It is a nice walk over the Memorial Bridge, that I'd guess will take you about 20 minutes each way. There is also a Metro rail station at the cemetery (on Metro's Blue Line), from which you can get to all the other major tourist sites in D.C. that may interest you (e.g. Museums of the Smithsonian, Capitol, White House, etc.). There are also bus tours of the rest of the city that have stops at the cemetery, but those could get prohibitively expensive for five people.

Edited: 12:25 pm, March 19, 2013
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 91
2. Re: maybe stop along the way

When my child was a student at Pitt, I was making this drive a lot because I don't live far from the cemetery. Warthog's directions are good and you'll see that your time on the Beltway (I-495) is quite minimal since you are taking the George Washington Parkway. Note: Watch the speed limit on the Parkway and enjoy the scenic drive!

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 21
3. Re: maybe stop along the way

Hello,

I am from Pittsburgh and travel to the Arlington/DC area a lot. Every year we go to Ocean City at least once and always stop in Arlington. In fact I lived just a few minutes from the cemetery for a few months years back. Arlington is very safe - especially near the cemetery. There are a lot of near by hotels with easy access to the Metro. There is a stop directly at the entrance to the cemetery. You could do a ride all day pass and see not only the cemetery, but many of the major sites via metro in just one full day. Then book a hotel for the night and head home to the burgh in the morning. We have down this about a dozen times at least. It is a nice half-way point in the trip.

Best of all you don't have to pay to go the cemetery, Smithsonian Museums, or monuments they are all free. This will make the hotel and Metro passes very affordable. A few neighborhoods for hotels in Arlington that I would recommend would be: Court House, Pentagon City, Rosslyn, Crystal City, and Ballston.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

4. Re: maybe stop along the way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 22, 2014