We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe hotel parking question

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
reviews: 20
Safe hotel parking question

We are looking to visit DC July 12-14 (two nights) with a family of 5. We have a large SUV that will have a roof rack on it (we will be en route to the Outer Banks) and the car will be fully packed while we are at the hotel. Thoughts on a safe hotel to stay at where we don't have to worry about car getting broken into?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: Safe hotel parking question

Much of Arlington is quite safe, with car theft incidents being less than what you'll find across the river in D.C. That said, areas like Rosslyn and Crystal City, and even Ballston, can have more of an urban feel to them, with occasional petty crime that comes with having taller buildings that get empty after dark. And you are right to worry as a fully loaded SUV left unattended for two days could be an inviting target. Most of the popular hotels also have garages, rather than surface lots, and you could have height problems depending on the height of your SUV + roof rack combination.

With that context, I might call the Residence Inn Arlington Courthouse and the Hilton Garden Inn Courthouse and ask them what their parking set-ups are like (in terms of height and access restrictions). The Courthouse neighborhood is so-named because the Arlington County Courthouse, Police Station, and Sheriff's Office are based there. Given the heavy police presence 24 hours a day, crime is particularly low (but not zero -- I'd still take the most valuable items out of your SUV and shift them to your room).

Alternatively, you might check on the parking situation at the Westin Arlington Gateway, which is newer, a bit more upscale, and in what has always felt to me like a quiet corner of Ballston.

ny
reviews: 20
2. Re: Safe hotel parking question

Thanks - I appreciate the detailed response! We will definitely remove anything of value, but cannot practically unpack the whole car. I will look into the Courthouse neighborhood.

The Westin Arlington Gateway sounds wonderful, and were very nice when I called and said they would accommodate our vehicle, unfortunately, they don't have rooms that will sleep 5.

3. Re: Safe hotel parking question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 06, 2014