We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elizabethtown
Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

We will be visiting DC first of April 2013. We have chosen to stay in Arlington due to rave reviews of locals, history, and more economicsl. I have narrowed down to 3 hotels: Econo Lodge Metro, Americana, and BW Rossyln/Iwo Jima. Which would be considered more safe for night walks back from metro and distance? Any have activities within walking distance for evening? The BW is on list due to indoor pool in case there is no activities for daughter (10 yrs) at night but perhaps not needed. We are going into this blind (although have spent hours researching!) thank you so very much!

Washington DC
1. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

I don't know the other 2 hotels you mentioned, but Americana, in Crystal City, is in a safe area, and short walk from Crystal City metro.

Hint, from the metro, take a under ground pathway into Marriott hotel, and turn right. Walk along S Eads Street and pass one light, you will be in the parking lot of Americana .

Americana looks quite dated... but it seems it got good reviews on the forum.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

All of those hotels are in safe areas. I used to live across the street from BW Rosslyn and it's very safe, although the neighborhood pretty much shuts down at night. The Crystal City neighborhood has a lot more restaurants open at night. The Econo Lodge location is the most residential location of them all, the restaurants in that area are quite a long walk from the hotel (although there is a very expensive French restaurant right next to it.)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
3. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

I'd put either the BW or the Americana ahead of the Econo Lodge Metro. All three are in perfectly safe neighborhoods, so that shouldn't factor into your deciding between the three. But the Econo Lodge is lower on my list because it is out on the Orange Line of the Metro at East Falls Church. In addition to having a longer ride to tourist spots, the Orange Line has frequent disruptions for track work on the weekends, that can make it annoying to use. The other two hotels are nearer stations served by multiple lines (BW = Rosslyn, served by Orange and Blue; Americana = Crystal City served by Blue and Yellow), which gives you better odds of catching a train.

In terms of walkable things to do nearby the Americana wins, but it's still not in the best location in terms of having lots of fun choices available by foot. There's a reason its rates are consistently better than other options. But if you are on a budget it can serve you well.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 91
4. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

You have already received good information about the walks to each of these hotels. All I'll add is that a pool can be quite an attractive perk, especially for a 10-year-old that may get overloaded with "history" during a visit to D.C.

We stayed at the BW Iwo Jima for a couple days last summer due to a power outage at our Arlington home. While the indoor pool is not fancy, it was a fairly good size and something we, even as adults, enjoyed at the end of the day.

Elizabethtown
5. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

Thank you all so very much for your information! It is so very helpful. It seems from your responses, BW and Americana location are pretty similar so the pool wins out :) Thanks again!

Elizabethtown
6. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

Sorry , after much debate, we have decided Crystal City is the way to go. We had looked into the Americana as stated above but the hotel has so many mixed reviews. Our budget is around $150 per night (less if pay for parking) and looking for a hotel with a safe, nice walk to metro and restuarants. The Americana still our best bet for March 30 to April 6? Or do you know of other hotels in this price range that may be a little better? Thanks so very much!

Edited: 12:38 pm, January 03, 2013
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 91
7. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

If you definitely want to stay in Crystal City, I don't think you'll find anything within your budget outside of the Americana. But, if you want to consider another Rosslyn hotel, you may want to consider is the Holiday Inn Rosslyn. They offer both free parking and an indoor pool and their reviews look good. (I haven't stayed there, so I have no personal knowledge of their rooms or amenities.)

The rate for two double beds for the stated dates ranges from around $100 per night to $125 per night, depending if you book "non-refundable", "refundable" or "room and breakfast".

Edited: 1:07 pm, January 03, 2013
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
8. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

If you can get the Holiday Inn Rosslyn for the first week in April for under $125 a night, you should book it and never look back -- I would expect it to go for at least 50% more than that. The week you've picked is peak tourist time (and possibly a week the cherry blossoms will still be in bloom). Because the Holiday Inn is in a great location (right by Rosslyn Metro, and walkable from Georgetown via the Key Bridge) they can charge more even though the facility itself is older.

Elizabethtown
9. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

Thanks everyone! We finally bit the bullet and made reservations tonight! We looked at all of the hotels again and finally chose HI Rossyln as iit did look to be in a great location so we booked it. We got it for less than $125 per night :) Thanks again!

In the event the blossoms are still present, we are considering having family photos made while there. Any recommendations for photographer?

Australia
reviews: 57
10. Re: Hotel questions, need your advice please :-)

Are there restaurants and markets (fresh fruit especially) close to the Holiday Inn Rosslyn? Is it close to metro station?