We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Question

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bognor Regis...
reviews: 43
Taxi Question

We will be staying at Courtyard Arlington Rosslyn and will be needing a taxi at the end of our stay to get to Dulles International Airport (on a Tues morning). I have a few questions and I'm hoping someone can help me.

1.How is the best way to order a taxi for this purpose...to order in advance an via the hotel or order when we need it?

2.How much roughly would it cost?

3.We are require to be at the airport at 9am. How much time do we need to allocate for this time of the morning, in order to arrive in time for our flight?

4.Are there any taxi companies anyone would recommend that can take four passengers with a fair bit of luggage?

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions or guidance, thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 5
1. Re: Taxi Question

I live in Arlington, and my favorite local cab company is Red Top Cab, which most hotels have a direct line to. Since you have four passengers, I would have the hotel make a reservation for you to have a taxi driver with either an SUV or mini-van pick you up. It usually costs between 50 and 60 bucks to get from Rosslyn to Dulles, but you'll probably have to pay more for additional passengers and luggage.

For timing, Tuesday morning traffic out of the city is not too bad, and it generally takes about 30 minutes to get to Dulles. Morning time is busy at the airport itself, so you may encounter long lines at security. Because I'm a cautious person, I like to get to the airport at least 90 minutes before my flight and relax with a Starbucks or do some shopping at Dulles.

Bognor Regis...
2. Re: Taxi Question

mjw703...that's marvellous, thank you! I take it Red Top has SUV's or mini vans. Just checked out their website...so I will take their details with us I've a much better idea now!

I must be super cautious then ...I allow 3 hours for flights. Just as well, as my husband enjoys his coffee!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
3. Re: Taxi Question

I usually take Red Top cab for everything, but the exception is when heading to Dulles with a lot of luggage for a long trip. Washington Flyer taxi is the "official" (read monopoly concession) taxi company of Dulles airport. They have some very nice, very large GMC Yukon and Chevy Tahoe taxis, and they do not charge extra for them. In your situation, I would make a reservation with them in advance and specify that you need one of their very large vehicles. Details here: http://www.washfly.com/Taxi_faqs.htm

In terms of timing, for what I assume is the 9 AM BA to LHR from your avatar, I would leave your hotel at 6:20 AM. technically you need to arrive at the airport two hours early for an international flight (I regularly violate this rule with no consequences), and a 6:20 AM departure should get you to the terminal exactly two hours prior to departure.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
4. Re: Taxi Question

While Washington Flyer has the monopoly FROM Dulles, you can take any taxi company TO Dulles. Like MJW703, we always take Red Top from our home in Arlington to Dulles Airport. We live close to Rosslyn and the ride, via taxi, generally takes us around 40 - 45 minutes. With four people and a fair bit of luggage, you are probably looking at $70 - $75 for the taxi.

Edited: 11:10 pm, December 21, 2012
Bognor Regis...
5. Re: Taxi Question

Thank you for your replies...much appreciated...I have used Red Top website tool to calculate the cost and it seems very reasonable.

Our flight is with AA going to Los Angeles, but I don't have information on what time we are required at check in, so I'm anticipating 3 hours just in case. We'll be taking about 5/6 pieces of luggage plus hand, so I guess a minivan / suv will be more appropriate for us.

Does anyone know if we can also use Red Top Taxis from Union Station to our hotel, as originally we were considering public transport, but now I am reconsidering?

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
6. Re: Taxi Question

While I suppose you could call Red Top to pick you up at Union Station, you'd have an unnecessary wait for it to get there. The easiest thing to do would be to just get into any cab at Union Station. (All D.C. cabs are now metered.) The fare from Union Station to Rosslyn should be around $20.

Edited: 3:57 pm, December 24, 2012
Bognor Regis...
7. Re: Taxi Question

Thank you very much longhorn74. Will do that.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
8. Re: Taxi Question

For a flight to Los Angeles you are only required to check in 60 minutes prior to departure. On a Tuesday morning I wouldn't worry about leaving much more time at the airport than that, even with all your luggage. As you have indicated you like being early, for a 9 AM domestic departure I'd ask to have the cab pick you up at 6:30. That should get you to the aiport almost two hours prior to departure, and even in the worst of traffic get you there by the recommended check-in time. For frame of reference, as a person who knows the aiport I would not bother to leave my house (very near your hotel) for that flight until 7:15 or even 7:30.

9. Re: Taxi Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 26, 2013