We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Traveler Planning Trip to DC

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 7
Single Traveler Planning Trip to DC

I'm thinking of staying at the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel in Arlington, VA and using their shuttle to and from the metro station. I plan on walking around the Smithsonian and trying a bunch of restaurants.

Any thoughts on this hotel and feasibility/logistics/safety of my plan to take the metro all over the place while I travel?

Any suggestions on things to do or restaurants I shouldn't miss in either Arlington or the Smithsonian area?

Thanks for your help!

Mandy

1. Re: Single Traveler Planning Trip to DC

The name of that hotel is somewhat misleading because it is not really in Pentagon City. It's about a mile and a half from Pentagon City so you would be dependent on the hotel's shuttle (or Metro buses) to get you to the Metro station. Metro is perfectly safe for you to use to get to/from D.C.

As a resident of Arlington, I can say that another thing you might want to consider is that the hotel is located in a primarily residential area and there aren't really any dining options within close walking distance. Again, you would have to take a shuttle to Pentagon City or take a bus or cab to other restaurants in Arlington. The closest restaurants to this hotel will be about a mile away on Columbia Pike. The next closest are probably the restaurants in Clarendon, about 2 miles away.

If the rate you get for this hotel is good and you don't mind relying on the shuttle, then I would certainly consider staying here.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
2. Re: Single Traveler Planning Trip to DC

As Mathlover notes, that hotel is not a good option for tourists for the reasons stated -- the location is poor. It is not in (or walking distance to) Pentagon City. It used to have a different name (Sheraton National, I think?) and I'm a bit scandalized that they are now billing themselves as a Pentagon City hotel. On the plus side, safety isn't really an issue around there given how heavily patrolled the area is by Pentagon / DoD security and Arlington County police.

Please post your expected dates of travel, target budget, and whether you will have a car (on-site parking is expensive at most hotels), and we should be able to recommend alternatives that are more tourist friendly.

In terms of things to do / see, please read many posts on that topic over in the Washington D.C. forum.

3. Re: Single Traveler Planning Trip to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 01, 2013