We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DC
reviews: 10
Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City this weekend.

Everything was perfect until we tried to retrieve our car from the valet this morning.

I called from our room and gave them our ticket number. They said it would be five minutes.

We came downstairs and waited. After ten minutes I asked the valet what was going on. He went inside then came out and said someone was getting our car. After another ten minutes I went inside myself to inquire. The lady there said someone was getting our car. I asked who? She asked for the model and color of the car. Then the man next to her asked me again for the model and color (he asked me how to spell "silver"). At this time the valet we spoke to outside came in and said that someone was going to talk to us about a problem with our battery. I asked, "What problem?" I then noticed our car pulling up outside.

I went out to get the car and asked the valet driving what the problem was. He said that there were a lot of cars down there. He didn't say anything about the battery.

On the way home I noticed that all my radio stations were reset. The dome light turned off. The passenger seat moved all the way back and the passenger handle extended. It looks as if a large person rode in the passenger seat of the car. The care is running fine and doesn't seem to have incurred any additional miles during our stay.

Anyone else have any similar experience with the valet at this hotel?

Washington DC...
reviews: 49
1. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

Sounds like your headlights were left on or for some other reason they allowed your battery to drain. This would explain the radio stations.

DC
2. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

That makes sense except my headlights will turn off automatically if left on. Also, this doesn't explain the mystery passenger.

No response so far from the hotel.

reviews: 2
3. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

Just curious. When/ if they do respond what do you expect them to say?

Oh yes and what is a passenger handle?

Edited: 6:29 pm, November 20, 2011
4. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

Some light was left on. Probably the dome light since it was switched off? Passenger seat was moved to access/ look for a fuse out? Can't speak for the mysterious passenger handle.

I honesty can't understand why you posted this. No damage was done and other than a slight inconvenience your day proceeded as normal.

If you have any real concerns perhaps you should take the care to your mechanical and have it inspected for damage. You may also have the Arlington County PD collect DNA samples to more easily identity this mysterious "large person".

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 78
5. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

I understand how this could be frustrating. If I suspected that a hotel employee may have went joyriding in my car, I'd be upset, too.

As a local, I've never stayed there, so I cannot relate from that perspective. But I would (myself) be tempted to email corporate about your problem. See what they say...

DC
6. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

No damage was done, as far as I can tell.

In all honesty I don't know what I expect the hotel to say.

I guess I really just want to make them aware of this.

I posted here to see if anyone else had had a similar experience with this hotel.

Oh, and when I said the passenger handle, I mean the little handle above the door on the passenger side. A place to put your right hand when riding in the passenger seat. It was extended. Pulled out a bit.

7. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

I haven't used the valet there but I have used the service many times before. I can't say that I've had any real problems. Sure my seat has been moved (I'm very tall) mirrors adjusted, armrests lowered or raised and the radio changed but I don't consider these things more than a minor annoyance.

One thing I do is write down the mileage whenever I leave my car with anyone and I inspect the car for damage when I pick up.

I am also curious how long the car was parked without starting it. Many cars today draw a lot of static energy and if your battery has some age its quite possible it would drain after a few days and it wouldn't have enough reserve to start the engine.

8. Re: Hyatt Regency, Crystal City, Valet problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, November 22, 2012