We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town Alexandria

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
Old Town Alexandria

If you have any questions about Old Town and getting into DC, let me know. I feel guilty that I have been using the Caribbean forum so much that I felt a need to give back a little.

Fort Atkinson, WI
1. Re: Old Town Alexandria

Hi, I will be traveling to D.C. in July with my husband and 2 sons ages 10 and 11. Are there any special "must see" sights in Old Town? I have been to D.C. a couple of times so I know what to see while we are there but, I am looking for things to do while we are in Old Town. Also, can you recommend any good places to eat? Thanks, Cindy

Alexandria, Virginia
2. Re: Old Town Alexandria

There are a few sights in Old Town, like the Masonic Temple, Lyceum Museum. There are night walking tours that start at the Market Square (King and Fairfax st.) that are fun if the weather is nice.

There are lots of places to eat. My favorites are the Majestic Cafe, Old Town Thai, Bilbo Baggins, The Japanesse Steak house and Koto sushi.

Le Refuge is a tiny little french place that is always packed. Very good food but you need a reservation most times.

Alexandria, Virginia
3. Re: Old Town Alexandria

Just saw you have kids. They will LOVE the Japaneese Steak house. It is one of those places where you sit around the grill and the chef comes out and prepares the food and plays with the customers.

It is in the north end of old town in the Canal center. Hard to find but fun.

There is another spot around the corner that I forgot about. Cafe Marianna. Nothing matches. Chairs, tables, plates silverware. It is a funny little places that is good. You can goolge them both to find directions. CM is not a tourist trap, mostly locals. The early crowd is old Old town, so Kent, who is the manager will love to see you.

enjoy

Fort Atkinson, WI
4. Re: Old Town Alexandria

Thank you so much for the information! We are looking forward to a wonderful time and will give some of these places a try!!! Thanks again, Cindy

Oregon
5. Re: Old Town Alexandria

Thanks for helping. I am interested in Bilbo Baggins. How di I find it. My husband and I will be visiting DC in July.

Alexandria VA
6. Re: Old Town Alexandria

The main stuff to do in old town is restaurants and antique shops. Besides that, make sure to take one of the walking tours. Many of the homes and buildings in Old Town date from colonial times and Alexandria has strict rules in preserving them. You can't even paint a wall in a historic home without having a public hearing. The walking tour will point out many of the more intresting ones. Since this is George Washington's hometown the tours will point out such places as the Church that George Washington attended, or the Pub George Washington liked to frequent. Make sure to visit the Torpedo Factory art center which contains the studios of many of the local artisans, and their work is available for purchase. If you are planning on going to Mt Vernon, you may consider taking the river cruise that leaves from Old Town. The price of the cruise includes admission to Mt Vernon. Some of my favorite restaurants in old town are Hard Times, Five Guys, King Street Blues, and Generous Georges (just outside of old town)