We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner suggestions on king street?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
Dinner suggestions on king street?

October 1st, 2013 Tuesday we are taking a bike ride with bike and roll alexandria to mount Vernon. We plan to arrive back at 530 pm to drop off our bikes. We are staying at the holiday inn at Eisenhower ave. We will be using public transportation and walking. Any suggestion for dinner as we will be dressed for riding bikes? Any places worth visiting near king street after 6 pm?

4 replies to this topic
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 72
1. Re: Dinner suggestions on king street?

Eisenhower HI is on an island in a sea of chain restaurants. The only reason to come to Old Town is the cruise King for dinner and drinks! Are you saying you will be wearing bike pants? If so, suggest changing to anything but! You can get into any restaurant or bar in casual attire.

Use TA Restaurants as your guide. My recommendations would be Brabo - they have amazing happy hour deals. A newer restaurant Notting Hill has an inviting outdoor garden that is on my 'to do' list (I have yet to check it out). They are on the mid-to-upper King Street area. Note the walk from Eisenhower Metro (next door to HI) is quite a walk to King, particularly after a bike ride. Suggest taking the metro to King. Brabo is around 1500 block; Notting Hill is about 1100. The stretch from King Metro to Waterfront is about one mile and 20ish short blocks. A free trolley runs every half hour and stops every few blocks.

Check out my reviews of restaurants. My other suggestions would be Columbia Firehouse; Jackson 20; Virtue Feed and Grain for drinks or Happy hour; Restaurant Eve bar is also great for HH and small plate eats!

The lower King Street restaurants are varied. I regularly suggest walking and perusing the menus to find what piques your interest!

I hope this is helpful.

reviews: 6
2. Re: Dinner suggestions on king street?

Thanks, this is great information! We will probably wear shorts and a t-shirt and tennis shoes. That night we are not looking to dress up, but would like to eat at a place with good food. I am going to look all that you have suggest. Thanks

Washington DC...
reviews: 63
3. Re: Dinner suggestions on king street?

If you're going to be very casual, you may want to check out Rock It Grill, Ernie's Crab House or Austin Grill. All are on King St on the left side of the street as you walk away from the metro. The other restaurants mentioned are all delicious however you may feel underdressed.

The farther you get down King St toward the water, the more restaurants you will pass on both sides of the street so you will definitely not go hungry as long as you don't mind the walk. If you're too tired to walk back to the metro after dinner, just hop on the free King St trolley and it will take you back to the metro. There are trolley stops up and down King St on poles that look like bus stops, you can't miss them.

Gainesville...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Dinner suggestions on king street?

There are tons of places to eat on King Street, you can walk around and pick whichever you like. I would recommend the Fish Market towards the waterfront end of King Street, it's pretty casual and has good seafood.

Reply to: Dinner suggestions on king street?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted