We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 7
Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

Me and my wife are going to spend New Year's in the Washington area. We were wondering were would it be better to stay? I've heard New Year's celebration on 31st in Alexandria is quite nice..planning to visit DC and around, don't mind to drive but perhaps just subway is ok? Any advise or thoughts would be really really appreciated!!

Thank you!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
1. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

First of all, you don't want to drive in D.C.--traffic and parking are problematic. Taking Metro (the subway), taxis and/or walking are the best ways to get around.

It's always nice to stay in D.C. itself, but that may not fit your budget, especially if you have a car as hotel parking fees can be quite expensive. Staying in Alexandria or Arlington are good choices IF you find a hotel that's easily within walking distance of Metro. (I would not recommend a hotel that is not within walking distance but offers a shuttle to Metro as it's so time-consuming.)

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 81
2. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

The City of Alexandria, Virginia, hosts what is known as 'First Night'. Depending on what you truly seek for your visit, FN is a family friendly, alcohol free festival that is spread throughout the Historic Old Town District. Each year is different, and culminates in a Fireworks display at the Masonic Temple across the street from the King Street Metro station.

There are a host of hotels that affront the Metro station and would give you prime viewing to the fireworks, the Hilton King Street and Embassy Suites are two. However, the majority of restaurants and events are spread thorughout or just off of King Street to the Waterfront (about 1 mile away). If fireworks aren't your thing, I'd look into the new boutique Kimpton hotels on the lower end of King. They always have unique and interesting events ongoing at the hotels for NYE.

Old Town is a magical place during the holiday and the restaurants are a great place to enjoy a lovely meal an ring in the new year. I agree with Longhorn, you do not want to drive in the city and access to the Metro or taxi's is easy from Alexandria.

I hope this is helpful.

Abu Dhabi, United...
3. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

Hi Longhorn74, thank you so much for the info, I think I have a much better idea on what to do.

Abu Dhabi, United...
4. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

Hi Karen B, thank you so much for your reply, sounds like a plan for us but just got a question regarding the alcohol free night. What does that mean exactly? Would we be able to have wine with the dinner and get a beer afterwards somewhere in the area? We are not planning for a drinking night but for our info??? Thanks!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
5. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

JJ: You are welcome. The Alcohol Free only relates to the First Night Events which are located in and around the town. The events are in Government owned facilities, which normally don't allow alcohol anyway. It is intended to be an alternative to the crazy bar scene that occurs.

The bars and restaurants in Old Town are more staid than, say downtown DC, or Georgetown (insane!!) on NYE. The Monaco, Lorian and Morrison House hotels have lovely restaurants associated with them. Most won't have NYE package plans in place until late November or early December. The best way to stay updated is to monitor the visit alexandria website, which I provide the link below.

http://www.visitalexandriava.com

I hope this is helpful!

Abu Dhabi, United...
6. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

Hi Karen, very helpfull!

Thank you so much for the time spent in answering, not only mine but it seems many other people's questions...

Abu Dhabi, United...
7. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

:-)

Edited: 7:46 pm, September 06, 2013
Abu Dhabi, United...
8. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

Hi Karen, very helpfull!

Thank you so much for the time spent in answering, not only mine but it seems many other people's questions...

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
9. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

JJ and CQ: Thank you kindly! I mine these pages as a resident of my little town in the hopes to ensure visitors, like you, come away with a great experience. Like you, I myself, rely on others who volunteer their time to exchange information that allow me to get the most out of my own travel experience! Trip Advisor - don't leave home without it! ;)

Again, thank you for your kind words!

Karen B

10. Re: Alexandria-Arlington-Downtown DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 10, 2014