We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Georgia
reviews: 50
Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria

Hi-husband & I will be passing through Alexandria on our way home from taking daughter to college in NY one week from Saturday. We're staying Friday night at the Holiday Inn Express Fort Belvoir on Richmond Hwy(husband's choice) and will have until early afternoon on Saturday to see some of the highlights of Alexandria before leaving for our next stop along the road. We know that this hotel has a free local area shuttle which includes Old Town but could use some help with what direction we should head in from the hotel for things to do. Could we walk from this hotel to other sights or should we plan on using the shuttle or our car? Would Strolling Old Town take several hours or should we plan other things to do as well? We enjoy pretty much anything from shopping to history and everything in between! We would really appreciate any ideas or some type of rough itinerary that we could follow for the several hours that we have to spend. Thanks in advance-can't wait to experience Alexandria!

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 29
1. Re: Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria

I'd plan to use the shuttle or your car. Richmond Highway is a busy road, and you are about two miles south of the parts of Old Town you likely will want to see. I'd consider driving to around were King Street meets the river and parking in a lot / garage. You can then walk around the water front, and after that up King Street away from the river. When you get tired / run out of time, take the King Street Trolley (actually a bus line) back to your car.

Augusta, Georgia
2. Re: Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria

Thanks, warthog-that sounds like good advice!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 90
3. Re: Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria

Have you ever been to Mount Vernon? If not, I would choose to do that on Saturday as opposed to strolling around Old Town Alexandria. (Old Town Alexandria is nice, but I would only recommend that if you have recently visited Mt. Vernon.) It should take about 15 minutes to drive from your hotel to Mt. Vernon and I'd plan to get there early enough to allow at least 4 hours to tour the museum, the grounds and the mansion. It is very much worth the time!

Augusta, Georgia
4. Re: Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria

Great idea, longhorn & no we have not been to Mt. Vernon. I just had not even thought about it so thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to: Advice needed for a Saturday morning in Alexandria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted